Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloat-worthy? I sure hope so! ;-)

Gloat-worthy? I sure hope so! ;-)

Just picked up my first cabinet saw, a 3 hp Delta Unisaw. It came with phase converter, so I have to get an electrician out to help me hook it up. It'll take a little work to get it cleaned up, but the motor starts very smoothly, and I think the thing will cut through practically anything. Came with a Biesemeyer fence, several blades, and 3 tables, outfeed, extention and a feeder table.

hey, if you know anything interesting about this saw, please let me know. Thanks!

Yes, I am very geeked.

Dell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks about the same vintage as the Delta/Rockwell shaper I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The saw looks like its in good shape. Ought to be real nice after its cleaned up.

I think the first two numbers of the serial number are the year model on these machines, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If thats right my shaper is an 85' model. The access door and hand crank on your saw are almost identical to my shaper.

Is that mud splatter on it? Is that the extremely rare off-road Unisaw?

Nice saw!

I can tell you where that saw has been! It's been in a cabinet shop that does a lot of laminate work. That's overspray adhesive for plastic laminate all over the data plate.

"That's overspray adhesive for plastic laminate..."

Bingo. Break out the lacquer thinner!
    David DeCristoforo

OK, I'll ask. What did it cost you?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Do you really want to know?

$550.00 (for those that asked). Found it via crazedlist multi-search of craigs list.

And it came with the fence, 3 tables, and a couple extra (suspect) blades.

Oh, does anyone know if I can retrofit a rivening knife to this particular saw?

Now if I can just get it out of the back of my van..... and get some thinner!

Thanks!

Dell

Do you really want to know?

Of course. No way to evaluate the "gloat level" without that!

$550.00

OK. That's a gloat.

And it came with the fence, 3 tables, and a couple extra (suspect) blades.

The fence? Which fence?" The "gloat level" is significantly affected by this. 3 Tables? What tables? Coffee tables? Dining tables? Extra saw tables? Why do you need 3 tables?

Oh, does anyone know if I can retrofit a rivening knife to this particular saw?

TTBOMK this is your best bet:
    http://www.leestyron.com/sharkunisaw.php
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 05-02-2009 at 8:28 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Hey David,

The three tables where a feeder table for large pieces, a table for the fence, and a large outfeed table.

The fence was a Biesemeyer. Not exactly sure yet how far out it extends.

Thanks! I don't suppose you'd know if wiring that thing up is something I could tackle myself with instruction, or call the electrician.

Dell

Is the "phase converter" a rotary converter or a "static" convertor? (FWIW, rotary converters are typically worth more and are generally "better" because they do not reduce the HP rating). If there is a "brand name" on it, "google" it and you can probably find a wiring diagram. With that and basic skills you should be able to do it yourself. If you are OK with what it would take to install a basic electrical circuit, go for it. Otherwise, call the electrician.

In general I would say that the uni with a Biesemeyer fence and the phase convertor for $550 is a good score. But here's the rub. If you have to hire an electrician and you have a static converter, you will have to pay "Sparky" for the job and you will only have an effective 2.25HP saw (you lose a quarter of your nominal rating to the static converter). At that point in might be just as economical to swap the motor out for a 3HP single phase motor. Uni motor swaps are a "piece of cake" but the motors are specially bracketed and are not cheap. Even so, depending on how much you have to pay the electrician, you might find it's a wash. If you have a rotary converter, you will not lose any power and you might even have enough capacity to run other 3PH motors. Usually 3PH equipment will sell for less used that their single phase counterparts which may be why you got such a good price on this saw. But even if you have to invest another couple of hundred, you are still going to be sufficiently ahead of the game to claim a "gloat"
    David DeCristoforo

Hey David,

After do some quick googling, I am pretty sure I have a static phase converter. The thing is just a box.

I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and send it to you.

I may have a line on an electrician that may help me out for a bit less. Friend of a friend thing. We'll see.

Talk to you later,

Dell

For a riving knife, you might want to check out the ************ from Bob Ross.

http://shop.walnutacrewoodworking.co...=2&productId=6

I haven't tried it personally, but have heard great things about it.

Here's a cool link on Delta unisaws I found when restoring mine. You can find out the year it was built if your interested.
    http://wiki.owwm.com/(X(1)S(1ugnthna...ookieSupport=1
    great saw.. your going to be pleased!
    Mark.

Thanks guys, I'm off to get some thinner, a riving knife, and electricuted... uhm, I mean an electrician...

Dell

Congrats!!!!