Thread: Vacuum Pump

Question Vacuum Pump

I have been doing a lot of resaerch on vacuum chucks. I want to build my own and I am looking at 1 on the bay. It is ending sonn and I just don't have time to go back through all the info now.

Could someone tell me what the CFM requirements for a vacuum chuck is.

Thanks,
    Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Mike,

I would not use a pump that moves less than 4 CFM. Others may have experienced success with less.

My Vacuum pump is 5 cfms, old ac vacuum pump draws down to 27 works very well
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

Mine is 5 cfm also. will draw plenty.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Thanks

The 1 I was looking at is to small.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Mike - I have a Gast that draws 4.5 cfm and works great. I always thought you needed at least 4 cfm to work but there are a number of folks here on SMC that use very small pumps - around 2.5 cfm - and state they work just fine! I believe Larry Marley uses a small vac pump - so you may want to check with him for any details.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Go check out www.joewoodworker.com . You'll find all the necessary info and parts to build your own system.

CW McCellan has a few of the 3/4 hp, 4.5 cfm rotary pumps left. The price is $250.00, they are new and originally cost over $600.00.

PM sent.

Jason

There are some on Ebay for lots less, especially 220 volt.
    I bought one, a Thomas, for $25. I needed to buy a capacitor ($8 at Grainger), and it works great.
    110 volt pumps can be had for about $75.

I have a 2.5 CFM harbor freight and it works fine ... pulls 29"Hg no problem.

For lathe chucking, you don't really need to move much volume, unless you are trying to chuck something really porus or with cracks or openings. In those cases you can often help it out by covering part of the blank with tape to seal it up. Once you are at the desired vacuum level, you don't need to pump air out any faster than it is leaking in.

Wow! I got more info out of that 1 little question then I had anticipated.

Thanks Creekers.

Mike

I just purchased a pump that delivers 3.7 CFM. So I guess I'm on my way.

Thanks Again,
    Mike

Just in case anyone else is looking for one...........

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...-1669&catname=