Thread: blade for oak parquet flooring with nails

Question blade for oak parquet flooring with nails

I'm laying some 12"x12" oak parquet flooring and I need to determine what blade to use on my nice Makita 12" SCMS. I don't want to use the blade that came with it, as this flooring has a steel fastener (4 actually, 1 per quadrant) that binds the pieces together. I think it will be about like cutting a nail, and I don't want to dull my furniture-grade blade.

I do have a 100 or maybe its 120 tooth 0 degree rake angle carbide blade that I used on my radial arm saw, and I figure I'll give it a try. I think I also have a "nasty" blade that I put in my 12" TS for cutting aluminum or dirty wood. I think this has a more aggressive rake angle tho.

Any other suggestions? Like maybe don't use the scms at all, and cut on the bandsaw with a metal cutting blade? Or maybe a sawzall. I'm afraid out rattling the parquet pieces loose if using a sawzall or other reciprocating cutter.

But my SCMS is such a joy to use! And will go faster and should produce a cleaner edge (not that the cut quality matters- it will be covered by 1/4 round). And I can set it up right by my work area, as it is on a mobile cart.

Lynn,

Have you scoured your local borg/hardware stores for blades that might handle nails in wood? Certainly they make sawzall blades for such situations.

I would spend a little time at some stores as using the SCMS would be very nice for this situation before resorting to slightly more painful ways to cut the parquet flooring.

Finally, double-check about the fastener for the parquet...could you be lucky enough to be wrong and it's aluminum or some softer kinda steel? Also, do the manufacturers of the flooring have a suggestion for what to use to cut it? Obviously, one must be able to more or less easily cut this flooring....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Lynn,

Have you scoured your local borg/hardware stores for blades that might handle nails in wood?
    I was cutting some bowling alley which is chock full of nails with my 7 1/4 circular saw....there is a $5 blade specifically made for such situations at the big boxes. Not very many teeth but certainly at the price, a throw away blade after it has done its service.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Blades (particularly the cheap variety) are expendable.
    Eyeballs are not.
    You're quite likely to be spraying around lots of little sharp bits of metal. Do wear eye protection.

Hey Lynn, you can get the cheap construction blades that are made for hitting an occasional nail.
    I did a floor like this a while back and had the same concerns. I used a jig saw since it was just trimming I mainly did. When you cut through the metal the rest of the tile just about falls apart so be careful of a piece moving around and getting kick up by the blade. Deffinatly wear eye protection please.
    Clint
    poor, self-employed woodworker

Jig saw

I ended up using my Bosch jig saw with a metal cutting blade and it worked great. The only trick is holding the pieces together sometimes when cutting. Masking tape works well for this.

If I felt like taking the time to change bandsaw blades, I coudl put a metal cutting blade on it and it work work better, but the jig saw is fast and easy.

Thanks for the suggestion (whomever it was that suggested it).

Cheers
    Lynn