Thread: Ho Hum - Another Spalted Maple

Ho Hum - Another Spalted Maple

14 3/4" x 4" - AO and buffed - This piece of wood had a 1/4" lag screw, a 12d nail AND a corrugated nail in it. Hit the lag with the bandsaw (no indication it was in there), hit the 12 with a gouge on the outside (easy to get out) and hit the drywall nail on the inside and it was a pain to dig out. I almost threw the piece away but I REALLY liked the wood so I finally got it finished.

Toney

Nice bowl, beautiful wood, like the rim. Your tenacity was well rewarded.
    Richard in Wimberley

Beautiful bowl Toney! Glad you were able to work through everything - it was worth it! Ever use one of those small metal detectors? Might help when harvesting urban wood - you just never know.

Also wanted to comment on your photos! I like them! They are well focused, present good profiles and are very dramatic when using the darker background - but they (opinion here) are just a tad on the dark side. Top photo loses all definition of the lower edge portion of the bowl. Don't be afraid to experiment with lighting and controlled shadows.

It is always a pleasure to view your turnings! Keep up the good work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful and definitely worth the work to save it! Nice job!!!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Very nice piece, the wood is beautiful.

Tim

Beautiful Toney and great looking wood. Glad it all worked out.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Huh?

What da'ya mean "Ho Hum"?
    Never anything ho hum about a beautiful spalted maple bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Beautiful bowl Toney! Glad you were able to work through everything - it was worth it! Ever use one of those small metal detectors? Might help when harvesting urban wood - you just never know.

Also wanted to comment on your photos! I like them! They are well focused, present good profiles and are very dramatic when using the darker background - but they (opinion here) are just a tad on the dark side. Top photo loses all definition of the lower edge portion of the bowl. Don't be afraid to experiment with lighting and controlled shadows.

It is always a pleasure to view your turnings! Keep up the good work!
    Steve,

I am going to work over my light boxes sometime. I just have to take the time and do it.

What I am going to do is add at least two more lights on each side and either individually switch them or at least switch each bank of lights. It should help out.

Thanks,

Toney

Thumbs up

Very nice work. I really like this bowl. Excellent
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Glad you didn't throw it away, it looks great and Steve is right your photos are also spectacular. Great in all respects.

Thumbs up

Very nice indeed. I can't wait untill I get to the ho hum level.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

With all the shrapnel in that wood your tools should receive a purple heart for being wounded in action. That's some of the prettiest ho hum maple and one of the nicest ho hum bowls I've seen. And as for your photograph, between your dark background and your lighting, your photos are always ho hum spectacular.