Thread: Gloat or ???? Wood molding

Question Gloat or ???? Wood molding

A friend had a wooden shutter business and had accumulated a lot of pieces of the frame molding. The bulk of the wood is 1-1/16 thick by 2" with a round over and grove each side of the 1 1/16 thickness, width of bead section is 15/16" and of clear bass or something fairly soft byt stable. I brought home about 1500' of 2' to 5' pieces. I have bundled it up in approximate equal length bundles of 12 to minimize storage problems and find lengths later. A flat plastic wrap worked wonders to accomplish the job with ease.

What do I with the opportunity now??? I am going to take it to my local woodworking group Monday night and offer a bundle or so for good ideas. The wood is clear white wood that is fairly soft, but would paint well or could be sealed. Some of the pieces had been painted already. Any projects that youngsters could do would after the pieces are prepared would also be appreciated. I would rather work with hardwoods and larger pieces, but this was just too much good wood to pass up, so now what? I feel like the dog that finally caught the car and did not know what to do next.

Gloat or ???? Wood molding

One picture is worth a thousand words --- and in this case maybe two or three pictures!

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Tyler...Chris.........We have a Gloat here with no PICS!!!!!!!!!!!Call out the Goon Squad!!!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Here is attempt to post pictures. This is my first and has not been successful on earlier tries. One picture shows the pile of molding, and the other a cross section with ruler for size. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! I have stored the pile in my workshop, and it needs to be put to use and out of there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Looks like a good pile of wood to me.
    You could saw them into and make some nice picture frames.
    If it was harder, that would make a great workbench top.(turn the bead side down) I wonder if you could use something to harden the wood for that?
    Jim

Tyler and Chris....the pictures have been posted.....call off the Goon Squad!!!!! .........Nice catch, Thomas.....now what to do?????
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    But, But, but, I didn't say a word!
    Very nice haul Thomas, good gloat and pix!
    Scored a nice haul years a go when a futon shop was closing up. Some nice clear pieces of oak and maple.
    Hidden treasures where you find them!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

You could gang them up edge to edge and put a dado 1/2"in from the ends, both sides, then rip to width and make 'em into Lincoln Log type pieces....then use them for ornamental bird houses....or glue some up with a bottom on them and make some trays to use in the shop or office.

Whatever you do, enjoy and be safe.

Greg

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Futon stock was as odd shaped. I glued up a couple butcher block type table tops, a latice work table, some shaker peg hat racks, and I edge banded a-ton-a $h%#.

I'm sure it will go to good use.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thumbs up

I think Jim has a good idea. Make a workbench top. Not hard enough? Cover it with masonite; replaceable and very tough.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thanks for the suggestions, but more are needed.

I have discussed the wood in a couple of groups here and still have not found a use for significant amounts. There is still some discussion if it is bass or poplar, but the majority is white and makes fine sawdust and chips off the planer. I did use about 4' to make a tray to mount on my new drill press. I use a piece of 2" scrap to make a yoke, and a piece of backing panel with holes from an old stero cabinet and coated with 3 coats of cut shellac. The finish tray looks good and should be very useful for holding the chuck key, bits in ready, and calipers, etc. The old bench top drill had the bench too handy to lay such on and collect chips. The tray is up and out of the chip path.

After being chastized severely for not posting a picture earlier, I took my 3 month old digital Pentax Optio 30 camera to the shop and took some fuzzy pictures. I had taken clear pictures of granddaughter the day before at the zoo. After reading the manual and not finding any help, I took the camera back to the store and was greeted with the question "fuzzy focus?" even before I opened my mouth. Seems the early production run had a glitch in the program that was touched off by punching buttons in some sequence and the camera had to be sent back for reprograming. No pictues for a while. Camera had done well earlier, and I think I am still happy with the selection exceept for my current problem that store says has been corrected on later production.

I have also resized some wood down to 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4" for a project that the LOML has changed my mind on. At least the thin material is now ready for the next project.

Gloat or ???? Wood molding

Tom,

You said it might be bass or poplar - either one would make great stickers for drying wood. I make mine 3/4" x 3/4" but others like their 3/4" x 1-1/2". Now all you need is some wood to dry.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield
    Any projects that youngsters could do after the pieces are prepared would also be appreciated.
    How about cutting boards?

Check with your local Cub Scout/Boy Scout Council. I know they are always looking for donated wood for cub scout and boy scout camp projects.
    Arvin Brown