Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

4 May 2009

Good morning everyone,
    Well, it's been a very wet past week for us, local flooding, severe storms, and yes, my driveway disappeared for an entire day due to excessive rain. Also found out I have 3 roof leaks and will be getting a new roof put on this week. Man....roofing has gotten very expensive in the past few years.!!!!!

The antique school desk project has come to a close, delivered, and I started and finish a laminated stand for the LOML's dry grain grinder. She required me to make it out of nothing but scrap....so I did. She loves it and I think it is just dandy. Her grinder is a hand-crank type and now she's really happy because she can now grind her own wheat flour and corn meal. So that makes me happy as well.

I keep trying to find a way to get back on the lathe, but people keep finding me and needing flatwork done. So I'm off to doing as much of it as I can get money for.

The LOML and I want to start doing upholstery for furniture and we're looking for good info and a good forum to get with so we can learn about it.
    Anybody here do or know a good way to start doing upholstery????

It appears that today will be our first non-rain day and I'm looking forward to getting outside for a change.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Twas a rainy weekend here, too, so that kept us away from any landscaping and gardening. So it was equestrian activities and housework.

Oh, and we have a new family member. Meet Elvis.

Elvis is a Quarter Horse/Warmblood cross, 10 years old and stands 16.1 hands tall. (A hand is about 4") We were originally going to lease him, but financially, it worked out better to buy since there is already a half-lease on him and he's used as a lesson horse. Both of those things cut the board bill to below what we were paying for just a half lease on Dreamy, the paint mare we had been leasing since last September. Needless to say, the girls are thrilled. Professor Dr. SWMBO and I are also pleased...he's a really sweet boy.

So I guess you can say I now have a son. Named Elvis. Go figure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Putzed around doing some sprinkler repairs on Saturday and of course....watched the Derby and then NASCAR Sprint Cup race.

Sunday roughed out some blanks for a little turning challenge....reground an old unused turning tool....turned it into a scraper. Worked like a charm on a test piece..

Read 3 new books.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We spent both mornings this weekend at the dog show. Our current class dog, Woebgon's Miller High Life (pictures below), was Winners Dog and Best of Winners both days. On Saturday he won three points towards his AKC Championship for his second major (two majors are required for a Championship) and on Sunday he won two points. He only needs two more to become an AKC Champion.

After the show on Saturday we made a trip to the local Borg for "stuff" for the new house and I watched the NASCAR Sprint Cup race. Sunday after the show I just relaxed and did some research on plants for the landscaping on our new property. It takes a lot of planning for an acre of land, especially when the local water district is threatening strict water rationing this summer.

Miller Win-Bakersfield.jpg
    Woebgon's Miller High Life
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

The closest I got to woodworking was installing a pulldown ladder in the attic of our garage in preparation for having our attic insulated. We are going to abandon the existing opening above a closet and have attic access through the garage attic when that is done. Since the opening was too wide for the ladder I had to make it smaller and add some simple pine trim which was finished in amber shellac. I also mowed the swamp, or at least as much as I could, replaced the yard light fixture on my shop (very high up on my shop ) and de-winterized the camper.

Busy busy weekend ---- work wise.

cut grass in between the rain showers....

zip zero nada on WW'g...... hopefully next week.

i do need to turn a bowl before next Monday, for a magazine photo shoot.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I had a pretty productive weekend.

Let's see... lots of kitchen makeover work...

• Cleaned up a bit in the shop.
    • Helped sand and fill grain on the existing kitchen cabinet carcasses that are going to be painted.
    • Installed a nailer strip around the upper cabinets for the cove molding.
    • Installed a new plywood side panel on one of the upper cabinets so it matched the one to the right. (For some reason, the plywood on the left side of the cabinet to the right of the range was 1/2" and the plywood on the right side of the cabinet to the left of the range was 1/4")
    • Recalculated all the final part sizes just to make sure I don't mess anything up.
    • Came up with a cut plan for all the lumber and plywood for all the doors
    • Rough cut the lumber for all the cabinet doors.
    • Cut the 1/4" BB ply panels for all the cabinet doors. Messed 1 of those up and now I'll have to buy another sheet of ply just for 1 panel.
    • Milled the rough lumber for two doors, routed rails and stiles, and assembled. All the prep is starting to pay off!

In the process, I found that the fence or fence rails on my TS3660 is out of alignment AGAIN! Grrrr. I swear it moves on its own. So before I go any further on making all these doors, I'm going to have to address this fence issue (again).

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Fitzgerald; 05-04-2009 at 4:25 PM.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Mowed the lawn. Cleaned the garage. Cleaned the screened in porch. Weeded the beds. Worked on the pool a bit. Transplanted some plants. Coached two baseball games. Ran errands. Got the cars washed.

Oh wait, was this supposed to be wwing related?

*/%&#!! Spring chores
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Worked 8 to noon at the real job. Ate lunch and watched a few home shows on PBS. Spent a little time in the shop fine tuning the templates for the ZCI. Thought about mowing, too wet.
    Sunday we slept in. Haven't slept that late in years. The dogs were good to us. After breakfast, worked on a downed tree limb in the back yard cutting off the green and bagging it. Ate lunch, watched the Mavs lose focus, got back a rescue that we placed a few months back. Nice family, dog just didn't fit. Got them up 4 to 5 times a night. She slept through the night here last night. Go figure. Spent some time in the shop after the game routing 2 parts of the final template. Then chilled for the evening. So I got a total of about 2 hours in the shop. Now if it will dry out where the LOML will mow for me during the week, I'll have the weekend free! Not likely to happen as rain is around again. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Dewey finishes!

I ran a half marathon this weekend. Saturday, drove to Ft. Collins and Sunday ran the Colorado Half. 13.1 miles for those non-runners out there.

I am getting older and slower but still managed to average a 9:25 mile. I was shooting for under a 9:00 mile but it was just not in the cards. I bet if a ran it again in a couple weeks I could beat that time but I am still happy to have finished.

Here is the link to my official data.

That's me in the Green freezing before the race!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Drywalled and taped the shop this weekend. Managed to step on a nail ripping down the old wood paneling that the previous owner used to sheet the walls in the garage. After deliberating whether or not to get a tetanus shot I started to prime and will try and paint this week.

Once the electrician gets in to wire everything up I can start on a real bench.
    Might swing by Hearne this week to get some 8/4 maple so it can acclimate to my shop.

PS

I made a planter. It has a decidedly left tilt issue and admittedly, I kind of wasn't paying too close attention. I think I was so excited about the joinery (mortise and tenon) that I didn't pay attention in the clue up.
    Alas, a coat of paint will hide it well and it is going out back anyway.