Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Kreg Pocket Hole jig a good beginner investment?

Is the Kreg Pocket Hole jig a good beginner investment?

I'm still putting my little shop and was looking into getting this.

I've already build my workbench and gotten a router, table saw, miter saw and other basic things.

I plan to build a miter saw workbench and also an office desk for a side room.

Do you think the kreg would be a good start for my first jig? What about the strength of the pocket hole design? I'd appreciate any comments.

Extremely quick and powerful. I always use glue before screwing together. It is an excellent investment.

Ken

Big thumbs up from up here in Canada. I bought one a few years back at a woodworking show and for whatever reason, never got it out for almost a year. Once I did and started slapping some frames together for workshop items, it never got put away. Fast and strong are the joints. Like others I put a little glue on the joint to feel good but doubt that it's actually needed.

Mount the unit to a piece of plywood and hang 'er on the wall - then it's at the ready when you need it.

Cheers,
    Lewis

Agreed. I love pocket screws. I use them a lot for my shop cabinets and carts as I feel better having a mechanical fastener in those joints. In fact, the first time I used them was on my hand tool cabinets (3/4" baltic birch case, wall mounted) I dry-fitted the cabinets, using pocket screws only, intending to disassemble them and glue the joints afterwards. It was so strong, that I left it together. Still hanging there on the wall. No issues.

I bought the single hole Kreg jig for about $25 just to experiment with pocket hole joinery and have used it for a couple years now. It would probably save some time to get the multi-hole jig or package, but if time isn't an issue for you it's a cheap way to get started with it. Pay attention to the different kinds of screws for hard wood and soft wood (the thread patterns are different, fine vs coarse).

You can't go wrong. Worth every penny.
    Now.. go get it!

I am a huge fan of pocket holes. I am also a beginner (and probably will be for many years) and a pocket hole jig was one of the first jigs I got. As long as it is a joint that doesn't show I swear by them. You don't have to clamp for hours, and gluing is optional depending on the application. You don't have to align mortises or dowels on both pieces of stock. It is a very forgiving joinery method. From a purest point of view it seems a little like cheating. But from a practical standpoint for joints that don't show, or you don't care that they show, I don't know if you can beat it as a joinery method.

Blog Entries
    I started with a "mini", $20 at Lowe's, and it still gets used more than my other three setups. Definitely a great thing to have around and versatile too.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

"I started with a "mini"..."

Simply put, the best 20 bucks you will ever spend. Get the "mini" Kreg, the bit and the "vice grip" clamp and you will never regret it! The only "problem" is that it's so quick and easy, you might be tempted to forgo M&T joints in favor of the pocket screws in situations where the M&T might be more "appropriate". I seriously doubt if you will get even one negative reply.....
    David DeCristoforo

I too have a Kreg pocket-hole jig. I got the kit that runs about $120 or so (don't know the model number off-hand) but I'm glad that I opted for that kit. The least-expensive kit wouldn't be bad to kinda give it a try, but anything in between will be frustrating as even the simplest project will use a LOT of screws, and a bench-mounted jig with dust collection will be a very early "wish I had" thing, ya know? Also, you can't "upgrade" from one set to another, so you end up wasting money.

The thing to think about is whether you have (as a novice) any immediate need for pocket-hole joinery. It's really best suited to cabinetry, and jigs and fixtures that can be joined using carcase-style joints. Get used to making THAT kind of a decision. There is very little in the way of tools that are NOT useful, but the question is "Do I need it now" or "can I get good use of it now". I really hate to buy a tool that sits on a shelf for six months, only to discover that there's something else of similar value that I'll need next week!
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

yes. was one of the first "high dollar" tools i bought for my shop

i think the only negatives about the kreg stuff you will likely hear are 1. from people who dont own one and have never used one, or 2. from people that use them incorrectly

Yes, definitely.
    I highly recommend you get a kit with a face clamp. The 'toughest' thing about pocket screws is getting them to stay put when screwing together.

I hate the way they look on my face frames. Even with the plugs, they are ugly. Oh, wait.....They're supposed to be on the INSIDE???

Seriously, go for it. A great time saver and clamp saver. As soon as it's glued and screwed, the clamps come off, ready for the next set of whatever.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Yes, the best little jig I bought. But don't foget the face clamp, it comes in real handy.

JP

The only negative I can think of is that it can slip on you when joining two pieces of wood together. That is where clamping comes in handy so it can be dealt with.

Otherwise, a wonderful tool for making quick, strong joints....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A very useful little jig
    Where did I put that tape measure...