Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I could or couldn't care less? Which is it?

I could or couldn't care less? Which is it?

In an attempt to start a totally pointless thread, I've always said "I couldn't care less", because I thought that meant that it was impossible for me to care less about the topic.

However, I hear a lot of people say "I could care less". I even heard it on a radio program yesterday.

If you could care less, then it means you do care a little. If you do care a little, then it's kind of an odd thing to say, isn't it? Well, I care about it a little, but not enough to talk more about, rather than I couldn't care less, which means I don't care at all.

So could you care less, or couldn't you care less? Which one is it?
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 05-04-2009 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Doh! Spelling mistake!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm with you Scott. I couldn't care less.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

My totally pointless answer to this totally pointless thread is that I agree with you - couldn't care less.

Couldn't.

This is a pet peeve of mine too. I also hate it when people say, "irregardless" and "throw cosh into the wind"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Couldn't.

This is a pet peeve of mine too. I also hate it when people say, "irregardless" and "throw cosh into the wind"
    Or "mute point"...
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

As far as the semantic content of the words is concerned, you're right. "I could care less" implies at least some amount of caring is present. But in common usage, especially when tone of voice is included, it's like saying, "Now, that's just great!" when you find you've cut that last piece of high dollar exotic hardwood an inch too short.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 05-04-2009 at 5:09 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Couldn't.

And for the others who like to say "Ideal" when they mean "Idea", the world hears you ... do you listen to the world?

My latest is "Acrossed" or "Acrosst".

I'm hardly a saint when it comes to using the correct language. When it's pointed out to me, however, I will never EVER reply "You know what I mean!!!".

A desire for self-improvement garners much more respect than a lazy mouth.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    As far as the semantic content of the words is concerted, you're right. "I could care less" implies at least some amount of caring is present. But in common usage, especially when tone of voice is included, it's like saying, "Now, that's just great!" when you find you've cut that last piece of high dollar exotic hardwood an inch too short.
    Very interesting!

I've never heard the phrase "I could/couldn't care less" spoken with an inflection that would indicate sarcasm.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    Or "mute point"...
    I'm pretty sure that is the same as "moot point", but I just couldn't hear it!!

When it all comes down to it - "Here is a quarter - call someone who cares" seems to work for a lot of folks - particularly country music fans

Having grown up in Eastern Kentucky (yes, that is a formal designation of a particular region of Kentucky that has well earned capitalization!), colloqualisms are just a part of the colorful character of good folks. I never take them too seriously, and actually enjoy hearing some of them - even used a few in my time.

To the original post - I hear it both ways, but as Tom pointed out, "I could care less" implies at least some amount of caring is present - which usually is not the case when one hears that remark

The one that probably does gripe me the most is "Whatever!!"

I couldn't agree with you more. I guess if you said you could care less, it would have to be done in a sarcastic tone to make sense. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I could care less if I didn't care less because I don't care less because I really do want to care but I won't because I can't.
    David B

I appreciate the fact that a kind soul has charted the Caring Continuum:

http://incompetech.com/gallimaufry/care_less.html

As for regardless and irregardless, that's a whole nother issue.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I think that example is more of an Oxymoron (this mistake is great).

I think "I could care less" is just mental laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    As far as the semantic content of the words is concerted, you're right. "I could care less" implies at least some amount of caring is present. But in common usage, especially when tone of voice is included, it's like saying, "Now, that's just great!" when you find you've cut that last piece of high dollar exotic hardwood an inch too short.

"Couldn't", although my mouth is usually a few steps behind my brain, so "could" sometimes come out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    The one that probably does gripe me the most is "Whatever!!"
    For me it is "for sure". Like: "I'm not for sure about that." I just want to shake those people.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Boy, don't get me started - but then you did, didn't you??

Yes, it is "I couldn't care less".

It's also "we need to FLESH that out", not "we need to FLUSH that out".

It's also "CUT and DRIED" or "CUT and TRY" with two comPLETELY different meanings and semantic contexts. For the former, finished, completed, not subject to revision or modification. For the latter, it has the sense of trial-and-error (which we as woodworkers know so well...)

It's also "Same old same old" not the gazillion different variations I've heard over the years.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here