Thread: where to source replacement bandsaw wheels?

where to source replacement bandsaw wheels?

I have a ridgid 14" saw that has a crack in the cast aluminum wheel, and I'd like to replace it with a cast iron one instead. Anybody have any suggestions?

Why? I don't think it's cost effective unless you have a machine shop at your disposal as you would most likely have to modify and arbor and or wheel hub. I'd have it TIG welded or price a new wheel.

I just was looking for something that would be a little more solid than the original. It is a Ridgid, but I've improved it a bit; 2HP baldor, riser block, sturdy stand, Iturra tension spring, coolblock guides, urethane tires, but the upper wheel was always a little unbalanced anyway.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 machinists in the turning club I belong to, so getting the center bored to match shouldn't be too much of an issue.

4. My impression is that cast iron bandsaw wheels can be very expensive. You might want to look on ebay to get some ideas. Another possibility is to contact Grizzly about buying a wheel as a parts purchase. I believe their G0555X Extreme bandsaw uses cast iron wheels.

Grizzly and Ridgid wheels (+ or - $60) are about the same price. (+ or - $20 depending which wheel)