Thread: Old Wood ID

Old Wood ID

I was recently working in the crawlspace attic of my 1880ish house and found that a bunch of floorboards had been removed to run wiring. I hauled several pieces down wondering if I might be lucky enough to have something attractive enough for a piece of furniture.

Here are a couple of photos -- hand planed for clean up + mineral spirits.

Clues: Orange plane shavings), no pine odor, exceptionally dry, secured iron square cut nails, T+G ~ 1", New England

I tried this out on the FWW Wood Forum and no obvious answer: growth rings do not suggest old growth, several SYP guesses, etc.

If anyone has a guess, much appreciated. Can't tell if I've got something worth "harvesting" for a piece (lots of work) or attic floorboards that should stay on duty for another 100 years.

Thanks.

What is the weight/density of the material? I was thinking a SYP guess also, but that, like the previous, is based on the rings.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Density (by feel) is very light. I've lived in Atlanta and know SYP -- doesn't feel that heavy. Also, no pine odor at all while planing.

On the other hand, it's been baking in an attic for 100+ years.

Thx for your interest.

My vote is SYP. I know you say it is light in weight, but keep in mind that the SYP most of us deal with has a moisture content of around 10-12% or more. If this stuff was in the attic as you say, it could be considerably drier and lighter.

I guess I should have added my ultimate question:

I (i.e.) my wife likes old pine furniture: How would this look as a table, possibly a hutch?

Lots of work to harvest. Gotta look very special to justify the effort.

THx.

Why not one of the Eastern white pines? Pumpkin pine, etc...

Around that time Hemlock was used extensively as we would use spruce/pine/fir today. It usually has fairly prominent growth rings which appears to be the case on the end grain in your picture. Can't say for sure; I'm just throwing that out there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Sears View Post
    Around that time Hemlock was used extensively as we would use spruce/pine/fir today. It usually has fairly prominent growth rings which appears to be the case on the end grain in your picture. Can't say for sure; I'm just throwing that out there.
    i looked at some hemlock pictures on line and it could be (?)
    http://www.vermonttimberworks.com/hemlock.html
    http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...cs/hemlock.htm

Looks like pine to me.

i'm voting not yellow pine, the stuff i've seen salvaged from around new orleans out of 100-200 year old buildings has more of a brown hue as the sap dries out.

also that small ring section on the end would have much more red if it were yellow pine.