Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a typical Felder/Hammer purchasing experience? (FIXED! Happy Customer now)

1. If I want to pay by credit card there is a 2.5% additional charge.

I thought it was against the agreements businesses have with credit card companies to make the customer reimburse fees for using a card. I know some companies do it, but it seems that if they agree to accept plastic that the companies are expected to absorb the fees, although they probably just raise prices to cover the fees.

2. I work for a German company and go to Germany regularly. In general, Germany (and perhaps businesses in most European countries) doesn't rely on consumer credit nearly as much as the U.S. does, and I think it's fair to say that they frown upon it. Financially they are extremely conservative, and that prudence has served them well in this particular economic downturn.

I remember buying a bicycle there, shocked that I couldn't pay with a credit card. It was something like 900 Euros and I was in awe that anyone would ever carry that much cash around. They do have something called an E.C. card, which is a bit like a debit card without a VISA/MC logo (charges go straight to the bank account), and those are accepted most places.

Anyway, all this just as context. I was told up front (after asking) what the purchasing protocol would be, so I wrote the check, and got the machine a week or so later. I always ask for large purchases, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Underwood View Post
    If I want to pay by credit card there is a 2.5% additional charge.

I thought it was against the agreements businesses have with credit card companies to make the customer reimburse fees for using a card. I know some companies do it, but it seems that if they agree to accept plastic that the companies are expected to absorb the fees, although they probably just raise prices to cover the fees.
    It is against the cedit card co's rules, but, what are they going to do, take away your credit card machine and loose the business? Kind of a rule with no teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    OK - I give up. What do you DO with a dowel boring machine? You are now officially out of my league...

I actually did meant he boring machine. Wierd I know, but it seems that you could use one to really speed up cabinet work. Line boring for adjustable shelves, euro hinge mounting holes a full door at a time, slide registery holes, even carcass assembly pins. The 921 has the tilting head too, which would make miter reinforcement a breeze too I'd think.

Now I've never actually used a AD 921, so this is all academic, but it's fun to think about. I need a bigger shop more urgently though, so I doubt that a new boring machine is in the works any time soon. Maybe next year...

5. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    It is against the cedit card co's rules, but, what are they going to do, take away your credit card machine and loose the business? Kind of a rule with no teeth.
    I understand. I live in Taiwan. There are a lot of rules with no teeth here.

I agree with Rick. My dealings on the Hammer A3-31 went flawless. Yes, they only accepted my credit card for the deposit and requested a check for the balance, but I knew this up front. I am more than satisfied with the product.

I had the same experience when I bought my J/P, but the salesman explained it all up front. If you got the letter then that means that the machine is due to arrive in port soon -- they usually send that out when they have an estimated delivery date, so maybe you are going to get your machine sooner than anticipated. I would check with them first before sending in final payment.

I have found that you need to be patient when dealing with them -- they stand behind their products and they make it right if there are issues, it is just not always as speedy as I would expect. I would agree with Steve that the tech support is top-notch and they can walk you through any set-up questions or troubleshoot over the phone. With that said, the machines are truly awesome and have worked flawlessly once set up and I am a happy user and do not hesitate recommending their machinery to anyone in the market for new equipment.

Scot

Hi All,

I ordered a Hammer A3-31 JP about five weeks ago. When I placed the order I needed to pay $700 (towards $3100 purchase price), with the balance due when delivered. I paid the $700 with my credit card.

Yesterday I got a letter from Felder telling me I had to send them a personal check immediately for the balance of the payment, even though the equipment was just manufactured in Austria. They are now saying that I cannot pay with credit card, only check.

Is this typical for Felder/Hammer? I know money is money, but I'm not thrilled with paying off the balance before delivery, and I'd rather get triple points on my credit card for this large of a purchase.

Am I unreasonable to want to see the equipment before I send them $2400 and choose my form of payment?

Roger
    Hi Roger, we've all been through it, it's a different way of doing business.

I understand your reluctance to pay before receiving the machine, however this is standard procedure for them.

It's different, though you have no fear of not receiving the best service and commitment from Felder. They're a family business with high standards, and will pull out all the stops to make sure that you received what they promised.

Enjoy your planer/jointer, I really like my A3-31.......Rod.

Another reason to use Visa or Mastercard is they double the warranty time for free. If the product comes with a 1 year warranty ,you get 1 year extra or 2 years total.

I just purchased a machine from them, and I was not told that I had to pay with a check, it is not a big deal to me, seems like it would be slower for them. We will see what happens, but I was told the machine would take 90 days, so you might get lucky.

Smile Outstanding response by Felder salesrep

So I spoke to my original salesperson today (I spoke to someone else yesterday when I called in to question the letter). He apologized for not making this clear up front and said I could pay the balance by credit card and he would cover the difference himself.

Simply outstanding customer service. It is refreshing when a company realizes a relatively small gesture early in a relationship can pay dividends in the long run. I swung from someone that had second thoughts about the buying decision to a Felder/Hammer advocate - particularly this salesman.

I hope everyone that read my original post sees how they responded.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Jensen; 05-06-2009 at 5:05 PM.

It also gives you more leverage if there is something significantly wrong with the product, as you can challenge the charge. If you pay by cash you have virtually no power after the sale. This is a nice thing when it is the first time you have dealt with a vendor.

In any case, please see my later post about how well Felder responded to the situation.

Roger

So I spoke to my original salesperson today (I spoke to someone else yesterday when I called in to question the letter). He apologized for not making this clear up front and said I could pay the balance by credit card and he would cover the difference himself.

Simply outstanding customer service. It is refreshing when a company realizes a relatively small gesture early in a relationship can pay dividends in the long run. I swung from someone that had second thoughts about the buying decision to a Felder/Hammer advocate - particularly this salesman.

Roger
    Perhaps edit your original post so that people don't have to wade through the posts to get to the conclusion. Congrats on the good outcome.

Unfortunately, I can't edit the post (I think there is a 24 hr limit).

RJ

Roger
    Good news Roger, sounds like the typical Felder customer response........Rod.