Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw outfeed worksurface ideas

Tablesaw outfeed worksurface ideas

I just sold my old tablesaw with a folding outfeed table and am now looking for ideas on a new outfeed table. Rather than a folding one I’d like to go with a multipurpose table. My thoughts are to make it approximately 7’ wide (width of saw) and 3’ deep. This outfeed table will also become my main worksurface in the shop. It’ll serve as my glue up surface, assembly bench, workbench, and contain storage underneath. If anyone has pictures of their outfeed/assembly tables please post them. I’ve got some ideas through searches here.

Thanks,
    Wes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a wild Idea, but make the top so it has 2 sides, so you can flip it over, one side for smooth outfeed use and the other side for glueups etc so you don't have to be so careful and/or spend a lot of time cleaning/smoothing it up after glueing/finishing on it.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

When I remove my router table fence, it becomes my table saw outfeed table. It is on casters, and just about the same height as my table saw. One side is open so that it can snuggle up to the motor side of the TS - the motor actually slips into the router table open side. The table top is 36x24, so it does not easily accommodate wide sheet goods - but I don't often cut sheets wider than 36 inches anyway. I also use this rollaround to move bunches of tools around the shop.

The dual use saves valuable floor space.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    My thoughts are to make it approximately 7’ wide (width of saw) and 3’ deep.
    Thanks,
    Wes
    Solid core door for the top can be found 7' but 6'8" are alot cheaper and sometimes free

I just sold my old tablesaw with a folding outfeed table and am now looking for ideas on a new outfeed table. Rather than a folding one I’d like to go with a multipurpose table. My thoughts are to make it approximately 7’ wide (width of saw) and 3’ deep. This outfeed table will also become my main worksurface in the shop. It’ll serve as my glue up surface, assembly bench, workbench, and contain storage underneath. If anyone has pictures of their outfeed/assembly tables please post them. I’ve got some ideas through searches here.

Thanks,
    Wes
    I am interested in the same thing. I also would be interested in seeing something like this.

I am planned my shop in my garage and plan to add an outfeed table that will also serve as my assembly table, etc.

It will be as wide as the TS ~7-8ft wide and ~8 ft deep and will be stationary along with the saw. It will not be connected to the saw since my fence needs a rear rail but will be the same height.

I plan to put draws and shelves under it for storage and have it the center piece of the shop.

Best-Ever outfeed table

Hi Wes. Issue 202 of Fine Woodworking has a plan for a really slick outfeed table. They call it the "Best-Ever outfeed table." not me. However, I do like it.

Take a look....

Oh yes, say hello to the girls in "graduate school."
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 05-06-2009 at 4:40 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Wes,

I built mine out of 3/4" Birch Plywood (legs/skirt) and 3/4" MDF (top) that I laminated (my 1st) and it measures 42" x 74"

I didn't put shelves underneath cause I wanted room for a lower tool cabinet and a trash/scrap bin.....

.....I use mine every now and then for assembly but if you have the room in your shop I'd suggest a separate workbench! (note mine in the pics)

OutFeedTable1.jpg OutFeedTable2.jpg

OutFeedTable3.jpg OutFeedTable4.jpg

......Be sure to posts some pics of yours when you git-r-done!

Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

I needed something quick so I just bought a metal Rousseau frame and slapped a piece of phenolic ply on top. The phenolic ply is nice and slippy, and the glue that has landed on it to date has just popped off. The phenolic ply I used was just from a concrete supplier, so it was cheap, but it wasn't the flattest and nicest looking stuff I've ever seen--the phenolic ply they get at WC (colorfin) is much nicer. Then again, unless you are in NJ, its either impossibly difficult to get or horribly expensive and cut into tiny pieces.

I have a Sjoberg bench. I shimmed my tablesaw legs so that it's exactly the same height as the bench. There's a couple of feet of space between the TS and the bench, but for the rare long rip that I do, the bench is a perfect outfeed. If it's short enough that it doesn't get to the bench, I either use one of those small rollers, or it's not long enough to require an outfeed.

Works OK for me, but I'm rarely needing an outfeed, so I guess I should say it's OK for occasional use, and really saves a bunch of space.

The folding outfeed is SLICK. I may well add that to my saw, and make it long enough that it butts up against the bench. Then I'll have a HUGE outfeed, with practically 0 floor space used up. Great idea.

11. I have been toying with the idea of some version of this http://christophermerrill.net/ww/pla...l_Stand_1.html

But even though it would be a great space saver and multi use I don't relish the thought of lugging up my planer or miter saw when I need to use it. So now I am mulling some kind of flip top perhaps. I also considered maybe mounting the miter saw or planer off to one side but would still be worried it might get in the way of the table saw outfeed of wide boards. I guess what I am striving for is some arrangement of a work island where I can group my tools together and share my DC efficently.

I do like the idea of a secondary top for glue ups etc. Also a downdraft section for sanding is on my mind. I know it's lots to try to work in and haven't gotten my mind around it all.

Ed

... My thoughts are to make it approximately 7’ wide (width of saw) and 3’ deep. ...
    I'd recommend that the depth of the outfeed be enough so that, including the back of the saw's table, you'll have between 4 and 5 feet of support behind the blade. That way, the center of gravity of an 8' sheet of plywood will be supported all the way through a rip cut and won't be prone to tip up prior to completing the cut.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

There's a guy over on the Family Woodworking forum named Stu who is building an outfeed table/bench for his new Sawstop. It has a couple of vises, including a leg vise. I apparently can't post a link here, but you should be able to search that site for his thread.

I used melemine...its slick and easy to clean and fairly cheap
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

This was the setup that the Marc Adams Woodworking school had several years ago when I took a class there. I always said that if I had the space I would build a unit like this.

Jim

100_0078.jpg