Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy 220 volt power cord?

Where to buy 220 volt power cord?

I have another new tablesaw question. I need to change the plug on the saw as it’s a twist lock which I don’t have plus the previous owner used 10/2 Romex for the cable. Needless to say it’s pretty inflexible.

Saw details:
    5 hp 19.8 amp 220 Volt motor
    6’ distance to outlet

Does anyone make a NEMA 6 style power cord?

Thanks,
    Wes

You'll probably have to build the cable, but it is easy. You can get the cord and plug from HD or Lowes. Grab any electrical book at the book stand and look up the size wire you need for the length and amperage you need. Get a plug to match your socket at home, or buy a matched set and re-wire your house socket.

Roger

Wes,

When it comes to electrical cords, I always try to get the beefier ones. For the TS, I would get some #10 cord at Home Depot or Lowes. Find the soft kind (sorry, I don't know the brand/style/type) that flexes nicely (you'll know it when you pick it up) and you'll be good to go. It will be a bit spendy but will work for you. I can't imagne using Romex for an extension cord!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I bought the cable for me General TS at the BORG. I got it in 12GA because I am running only 13A or so. It is 12/2 that is soft and flexible. Worked out real nice.

Home Depot or Lowes should sell 10g in a flexable rubber. Its black and begins with SJ or S something.

Cord

I had to do the same thing with my TS. I purchased a Ridgid power cord 12/3 and purchased the receptacle heads. Total cost was about 40 bucks for 25 ft extension cord and fittings

Wes,

Get yourself a length of flexible 12ga 3 wire (2 hot + ground) cord and a plug and receptacle to match the current capacity of the circuit, NEMA 6-20 for a 20 amp circuit or 6-30 for a 30 amp circuit. You can find the cord and devices at the borg or an electrical supply house near you.

Do not use a plug/receptacle that is mismatched to the breaker on the circuit. Use the L6 plug/receptacle versions if you want to use a locking plug/receptacle.

For that length of power cord and a 19-20 amp motor, 12 ga wire is sufficient. You won't really gain anything using a heavier gauge except the pleasure of spending more money.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

SJO 10-3 is what you are looking for.

Our local HD/Lowes carries the portable cord that is type SJOOW.

If your tools are in a garage that gets liquids on the floor and the cord lays across it, the "OW" works nicely.

S = Service
    J = Junior (300V)
    O = Oil Resistant Jacket
    O = Oil Resistant Insulation
    W - A = Weatherproof Approved

Rob

I found that a cheaper way was to buy a 12ga extension cord from HF, cut the ends off and put 240V plugs on. The borg's cable-by-the-foot is expensive!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    SJO 10-3 is what you are looking for.
    I agree with Leo......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Wes,
    You don't have to make it, you just need to know where to find it. Here's a website :

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/browse...--25'.HTML

Good Luck,
    Jimmy

13. Lightbulb

.... There is a good chance that you might be able to get this at Wal-Mart in the RV section at a better price! Your best price is most likely going to be a contractors electrical outlet store and put it together yourself.

.... Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Coull View Post
    Wes,
    You don't have to make it, you just need to know where to find it. Here's a website :

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/browseproducts/30-Amp-RV-Extension-Cord--25'.HTML

Good Luck,
    Jimmy
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I found that a cheaper way was to buy a 12ga extension cord from HF, cut the ends off and put 240V plugs on. The borg's cable-by-the-foot is expensive!
    Plus, if he buys a long one along with replacement ends, since only 6' or so is needed for the power cord, he'll wind up with a usable, heavy duty extension cord as well as a power cord for the saw.

And I agree, 12ga is plenty large enough for the load. 12ga copper wire would only introduce a 0.5 voltage drop (0.2%) at the motor's FLA. 10ga wire would be 0.3 voltage drop (0.1%). The difference between the two is negligible.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Only problem is you get what you pay for, cheap cord stiff in cold weather, flexible in warm/hot weather.