Thread: Ridgid 4330 cutter head lowers when running.

Ridgid 4330 cutter head lowers when running.

I have been very happy with my 4330, clean cuts and it has done very well on anything I have ask it to do.

Well last week something started to happen, when running the cutter head would just start lowering by itself. Now this is not to good when you are trying to plan something to a given thickness.

When I called Ridgid and talked to the tech they said it shouldn't do that, WOW I was glad to know that. They said that some part must be worn out and needed to be replace and I would have to take it to the service center.

I just couldn't take it in at this time, needed it for a project I am working on.
    So I started looking to see what I could fine, looks like I found it.

Lay the planer on its side or up on its end, there are 2 covers over the chain that goes to each corner to turn the screws to raise or lower the head. There are 2 idlers that have eccentrics in them. In my case one was loose and was letting the chain be very loose. I turned the eccentric until the chain was tight and found that was to much and you could not turn the crank very well. I then loosened it a little and tried it again, bingo....... now it does not lower when I am running it.

So if you have the problem you may want to take a look at the eccentrics and see if they are set right.

I think this is a problem with the new design. They say it doesn't need a spindle lock. I say they are wrong. I tried the new planer, but found the same thing, the handle is on the side, and if it's up, it will settle down to the 6 o'clock position with vibration. I called and spoke to a tech who had no idea how to tension the mechanism. He just kept saying, 'the new design doesn't need a spindle lock." I took it back and got a dewalt for the same money. Otherwise, it seemed like a good planer. I like that you can shift the knife to the side if you start getting ridges in the stock.

you should email ridgid and tell them how to fine tune their planer, they had no idea.
    Where did I put that?

I had this problem with my Grizzly 20 in planer and it was caused by dull blades. As they dull they"slam" the wood instead of cutting it and this caused the bed to move downward.

Fred. M

This was brand new out of the box on a lunchbox planer with brand new blades, the bed doesn't move, the head moves down with vibration if the tension isn't set right.
    Where did I put that?

Anyone know if this also applies to the older TP1300?
    I don't see and or can't find any chain covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I have been very happy with my 4330, clean cuts and it has done very well on anything I have ask it to do.

Well last week something started to happen, when running the cutter head would just start lowering by itself. Now this is not to good when you are trying to plan something to a given thickness.

When I called Ridgid and talked to the tech they said it shouldn't do that, WOW I was glad to know that. They said that some part must be worn out and needed to be replace and I would have to take it to the service center.

I just couldn't take it in at this time, needed it for a project I am working on.
    So I started looking to see what I could fine, looks like I found it.

Lay the planer on its side or up on its end, there are 2 covers over the chain that goes to each corner to turn the screws to raise or lower the head. There are 2 idlers that have eccentrics in them. In my case one was loose and was letting the chain be very loose. I turned the eccentric until the chain was tight and found that was to much and you could not turn the crank very well. I then loosened it a little and tried it again, bingo....... now it does not lower when I am running it.

So if you have the problem you may want to take a look at the eccentrics and see if they are set right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    I think this is a problem with the new design. They say it doesn't need a spindle lock. I say they are wrong. I tried the new planer, but found the same thing, the handle is on the side, and if it's up, it will settle down to the 6 o'clock position with vibration. I called and spoke to a tech who had no idea how to tension the mechanism. He just kept saying, 'the new design doesn't need a spindle lock." I took it back and got a dewalt for the same money. Otherwise, it seemed like a good planer. I like that you can shift the knife to the side if you start getting ridges in the stock.

you should email ridgid and tell them how to fine tune their planer, they had no idea.
    Rob, the new design DOES have a cutterhead lock. It is the R4331. The one Bill has, I had, and sounds like the one you had, the R4330, does not have a cutterhead lock. Although I never had any issues with mine, I can see why there's a concern. I sold mine when I "upgraded" to a PM15S. Although the Powermatic is much more powerful, quieter and will plane all day, I miss the finish of the R4330. I may have a word with Santa.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    I have the older TP1300 and it has a lock. It uses a shaft that is parallel to the cutter head that turns two thread post to raise and lower the head. You should be able to see it between the dust chute and the motor.

Even with the lock on my head moves down.
    Any way to stop this?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    I have the older TP1300 and it has a lock. It uses a shaft that is parallel to the cutter head that turns two thread post to raise and lower the head. You should be able to see it between the dust chute and the motor.

Even with the lock on my head moves down.
    Any way to stop this?
    You can move the lock lever one tooth to give it a longer stroke/stronger bite. Take the handwheel off, pull the lock out until it disengages, move it back one notch, push it back in and put the handwheel back on.

Not to overdo the point but the handwheel shouldn't be moving whether the lock is on or off, no?
    Certainly didn't move before.
    Thanks.

I have the TP1300 and have not had this problem. With the snipe lock engaged, it pretty much locks the motor/cutter assembly pretty well. On the occasion I forgot to engage the snipe lock, the motor/cutter assembly still remained where I placed it.
    My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......