Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miter Gauges, what should I know?

Miter Gauges, what should I know?

So I've got a birthday coming up and I was thinking about picking out, er, I mean, asking for a new miter gauge. I was thinking either the Incra v27 or 1000SE. I'm not sure the aluminum face is worth the extra money for the 1000SE when i can attach a sacrificial face to the V27. Thoughts?

BTW, I looked at other gauges, but none of them seemed more compelling for the price. I'd like to keep it around the hundred and lower "range" if possible.

I REALLY like my Incra 1000 SE. Been a good addition to the Grizz TS.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    I bought the V-27 years ago. I first ran it with a shop made fence. I then ordered a telescoping fence direct from Incra for less than I could find it anywhere else (at the time, retailers like Rockler and Woodcraft could only sell complete units or "repair" parts and their markup was painful).

The first unit had too much slop in the telescoping rail. Incra was quick to replace it and the new one was only half as bad. I shimmed it with some foil tape so it is true but the telescopeing feature is basically not functional with the fix applied.

I recently drilled some through holes and turned the fence around to present a wider surface to the material. I also stuck on some 320 grit paper and this version is working quite well. The gauge is rock solid, adjusts to the slot for perfect fit and although I check now and again, has never lost it's setup since the original alignment. I have grown to trust the angle setting without question.

So, I think the V-27 is great and have never needed the greater granularity of the other units. Other folks, no doubt love some of the features that I do not require. The fence I think could be anything that is true, stable and meets your particular needs for a miter gauge. I would buy one again but I would skip the fence.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-08-2009 at 4:41 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have the 1000SE and rarely use the aluminum telescoping fence that came along with the package. I prefer to use a sacraficial fence made out of birch or maple allowing the much needed protection on the back side of the piece that prevents tear out.

I've had an Incra v27 for a couple of years and it is OK. I've had an Osborne EB-3 for a couple of months and have now found my miter gauge of choice. It also fits in your budget.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

I've got 2 V 27's.. I put a sacrificial fence on one that will cvoer up to 31". I just recieved a 27"-49" Incra fence (for 3000 unit) I got from Incremental Tools which is direct source from Incra for $54 less 10% sale plus shipping. Totat was around $58 shipped.

So.. if I only had one V 27.. this the where I would go.. V 27 for around $48 on Amazon.. 27"-49" 3000 fence separate from Incremental for $58. BTW.. 27" is closed so it acts the same as the 1000 fence but gives you versatility of up to 48". I didn't get the expensive stop as I can simply clamp one on or make one with a 1/4" hex bolt and some scrap if I want it to slide which isn't necessary.

I do most large carcass so the 48" is important to me. I did make a sacrificial that can be attached to go up to 72". I used it yesterday on some 64" pieces for a hutch.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Not to dwell on the obvious but regardless of what you end up buying, it will not be worth a "hill of beans" if your blade and miter gauge slot are not parallel. Check it!!!!!
    David DeCristoforo

Avoid the Incra. I've had mine for a couple of years and keep losing the stupid allen-wrench type tool that you need to make the fence longer. The "stop" is also a poor design.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the Kreg or Osborne.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elder View Post
    So I've got a birthday coming up and I was thinking about picking out, er, I mean, asking for a new miter gauge. I was thinking either the Incra v27 or 1000SE. I'm not sure the aluminum face is worth the extra money for the 1000SE when i can attach a sacrificial face to the V27. Thoughts?

BTW, I looked at other gauges, but none of them seemed more compelling for the price. I'd like to keep it around the hundred and lower "range" if possible.

Blog Entries
    I have no experience with either of the two you mentioned, but I really like my Kreg cross cut guide. It has been very accurate from day one and I like the length stop. If you take time to set the miter gauge up according to their directions, the scale on the fence is highly accurate for setting the sliding stop so you can make repetitive cuts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Tim, I am not sure when you say others that you looked at the Osborne EB-3.

I have the EB-3 and a V-27 I use them both but I like using the EB-3 the most on the table saw.

I went with the EB-3 because of the way its made, the triangle is very strong and it shows with the EB-3. The stop is good and the long extension is great. It is big and it is heavy when compared to the V-27.

The EB-3 is $109 from Osborne and if you didn't look at them go take a look.

http://www.osbornemfg.com/

I considered several other manufacturers, including Kreg, Osbourne, and a couple others, but I ultimately chose to go with the accuracy and solid reputation of Incra.

I started out with the Incra V27, which replaced my stock gauge. I usually kept an 18" sacrificial fence attached. Last week I purchased the Incra 1000SE, which included an 18-31" telescoping fence and a flip stop.

I really like the gauge itself, the fence design, and the flip stop. What I didn't like was the telescoping feature. While it's fairly solid, you must rely solely on your eyesight to properly align the moving part of the fence with the non-moving part of the fence. I felt that sort of defeated the purpose of the 1/32" incremental stop system.

So this week I decided to order a 36" non-telescoping fence from Incremental Tools. Now I have the V27, the 1000SE, an 18-31" telescoping fence, a 36" non-telescoping fence, and a flip stop.

Everything I have is compatible with everything else so I can use any combination I want at my table saw, my bandsaw, or my router table. And with the 1/32" incremental stop system, I know 14 25/32" is always 14 25/32", which I find incredibly useful.

Hope this helps.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Good Info!

I'm glad I asked. Seems the consensus is that the telescope on the 1000 isn't all that great. Also, I will look at the Osbourne - Delta has a similar gauge, but it's more expensive - I've just glanced over it so far. Does it have preset stops for 90, 45, and 33 degrees? I had looked at the Kreg, but didn't see any advantages over the Incra(s). Also the JessEms were pretty pricey. Who did I miss?

I'm kind of leaning towards the V27 and adding a sacrificial face from Woodcraft:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20167
    I know it's designed for an aluminum face, but it should be easy to modify. Any opinions (stupid question, eh?)?

I've got a V27, an EB-3, and a Jet/Woodhaven Deluxe. All are excellent gauges with different strengths. The V27 is the best bang for the buck IMO but benefits from a fence of some sort, the Woodhaven is the most robust but is the most cumbersome to change angles with, and the EB-3 has the best fence IMO but is also the most complex...it's best to get familiar with all their features and make a choice that suit your needs.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 05-09-2009 at 7:55 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

"Avoid the Incra. I've had mine for a couple of years and keep losing the stupid allen-wrench type tool that you need to make the fence longer. The "stop" is also a poor design"... Jason

With all due respect Jason.. I thing Avoid is word that sounds a little heavy because you lose your allen wrench. The wrench is a 3/16" and you can buy one for under $1. I might suggest you drill a hole 7/32" in an adjacent work-bench leg.. work shelf.. etc. and slide the allen wrench in. Or you could simply take a piece of duct tape and slap the key on the back of the Incra fence.

As far as bad design on the stop you might want to elaborate. I didn't purchase one as I have no trouble measuring from the blade to my stop point and quick clamping a block of scrap on. Or.. I quite often cut a story stick my lenght.. then use it from the blade to find the spot I want my piece of square stock stop. Either work and it saves a few dollars on something I feel I really don't need.

As far as the scale on the top.. I simply dis-regard it as I trust the methods above will get me to the promise land without a scale or commercial stop block. If you prefer the Kreg or Osborne that's great.. but many appear to love the Incra for it's own merits as I personally believe it has a few.

Regards...

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Tim, I am not sure when you say others that you looked at the Osborne EB-3.
    +1 on the EB-3.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night