Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - saw it. (no spoilers please)

Star Trek - saw it. (no spoilers please)

Just saw it. OK, OK... so I'm still a fan of the '60s series and anything else is just something close (especially Voyager).

I DID enjoy this one very much. My only hope is that they've gotten the special effects stuff out of their system on this one so the next 2* can focus on the relationships and morality plays rather than what I call 'shoot the pixels'. I just don't find pixels to be very menacing anymore.

Don't get me wrong, the characters' interplay is there... just subdued, as it should be the first time out.

It's a blast - go see it.

* the cast is signed for at least 2 more.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I heard this one was way different than the others. The reviews seem to already have it above Wolverine.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Saw it tonight. Very well done. The Trek-nobabble was actually pretty minimal. I was dreading the time travel thing, but it was well explained.

Funny, I read a reviewer who claimed that Sulu and Chekov didn't have enough to do. Ha. Scotty was the one that didn't get much to do!

But man oh man did they seriously reboot the entire Star Trek Universe with this story! The future is wide open for sequels.
    "It's Not About You."

I really liked the last series, Enterprise. I was mad when they cancelled it.

I am planning to see the new movie at the theater (as opposed to Netflix).
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe View Post
    I really liked the last series, Enterprise. I was mad when they cancelled it.
    That was a very sad day when I heard it was cancelled...

I loved most of the star treks but The Next Generation was on the bottom of my list

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Saw it tonight. Very well done. The Trek-nobabble was actually pretty minimal. I was dreading the time travel thing, but it was well explained.

Funny, I read a reviewer who claimed that Sulu and Chekov didn't have enough to do. Ha. Scotty was the one that didn't get much to do!

But man oh man did they seriously reboot the entire Star Trek Universe with this story! The future is wide open for sequels.

Rewritting the Star Trek universe huh? Well I guess I will hear complaints about it tomorrow. (like having Warbirds in Enterprise when they were new ships much later on)
    One question though (what I have been wondering, or if they didn't WTH not), any Capt. Pike mention in this one? (seemed like a good possibility for a prequel)

Still waiting on a good movie to use my gift cards from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    any Capt. Pike mention in this one? (seemed like a good possibility for a prequel)
    Yes, mucho.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

A friend of mine saw it last night and said it was quite enjoyable. I'll still wait for the Blu-Ray version, however...too darn expensive to go to the theaters anymore.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm contemplating letting the hype die down then take an afternoon with the LOML and trek (sorry) over to Dallas to watch it in the IMAX screen. If I read the website right, tickets are only 10.00 ea. Not bad. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I'm contemplating letting the hype die down then take an afternoon with the LOML and trek (sorry) over to Dallas to watch it in the IMAX screen. If I read the website right, tickets are only 10.00 ea. Not bad. Jim.
    I guess I'm weird because I like to see a new movie during all the hype. I like the excitement and all the people waiting in anticipation. Shoot, I even like to see the people wearing costumes. I've never done this myself. Maybe someday, just to push my geek factor over the top.

My only hope is that they've gotten the special effects stuff out of their system on this one
    good luck with that.

movies are about making money and the money is in the 15 to 25 age bracket. They don't want to listen to a bunch of dialog.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Will probably see it soon. I thoroughly enjoy JJ Abrams revamped godzilla story 'Cloverfield'. Very cleverly and well done. I have high expectations for his take on the Star Trek universe.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Good Lord another Star Trek?? Should we not feel bad about beating that poor horse, its already dead for petes sake. Sorry guys not a fan at all and never have been. Guess Im wierd huh??
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I saw it and really liked it.

It will attract folks that have never seen the original.

Good pacing, story line, characters.

Well done.

I hope he makes a couple more.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

We saw it last night and it is a really fun movie. I didn't know what to expect (never was much of a trekie) but can now recommend it highly.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.