Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please give me your oppinion on this (old) table saw

Please give me your oppinion on this (old) table saw

I'm considering buying this table saw.

It's a Wadkin Bursgren 10" saw with sliding table.

According to the seller it's running as new and should be well kept.

I don't know the year of manufacture, but I'd say sometime in the 60'es.

Please give me your honest oppinion if this is a good saw (all things considered).

The price is approx $1100.

Also be aware that I'm in Europe, so I don't have the same access to cheaper (and possibly better) alternatives.
    There are lots of alternatives that may be better - but not cheaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And you haven't bought it yet?!?!?!
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    And you haven't bought it yet?!?!?!
    LOL - I'm about to - just wanted reassurance that's it's worth buying as my knowledge about table saws is very limited (I've actually never used one - yet!)

Hello there,

Part of my job is visiting high school shops. There is a lot of older Wadkin equipment here in Canadian schools. It is all built like tanks. The only problem is if something is missing or breaks, getting parts is a PITA.

Having said that, I have a 20" bandsaw and a floor model mortiser from Wadkin and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Check out the saw, if it is all there BUY IT!

David.

If you "google" for "Wadkin Bursgreen" you should see a link to a Yahoo forum for WB owners. I don't think I'm allowed to post the actual link since it's to another forum and that's against the rules.....
    David DeCristoforo

Very nice looking unit. I don't know anything about it otherwise. I'd follow David's advice. I would imagine anything new in Denmark costs more anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    Very nice looking unit. I don't know anything about it otherwise. I'd follow David's advice. I would imagine anything new in Denmark costs more anyway.
    That all depends on what you want to get...

A somewhat similar saw with a slider would probably start at about $5k

I have no idea whether it would be better or worse than this.

If that saw were for sale near me for $1100 US$, I'd already be the owner, and this post would be my gloat. Not sure about the slider aspect. I used an older SCMI at work with that older style of slide mechanism and it was a bit difficult to set up and keep accurate, but the saw itself should be a good performer. We stripped off the slider and used it like a traditional TS after buying a small Griggio slider to replace that functionality. Worth a look at the very least.

"...the slider...was a bit difficult to set up and keep accurate..."

I know what you mean. Plus you can hang your cojones on that steel bar sticking out! But that one looks pretty well put together and pretty simple so it might not be too bad. Red flags on the ends of the bar? But even without the slider that's still a nice piece of arn....
    David DeCristoforo

Niels, if it's in good shape it's worth buying.

Wadkin made industrial class machinery, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it's in working order.........Rod.

Niels,

I agree with everything already said -- I've heard nothing but good things about Wadkin Bursgreen equipment (roughly comparable, as far as I know, to older Unisaw, Powermatic, General). Plus, if it's accurate and operates smoothly, a sliding table can be a great, great feature.

Do you know the size motor it has?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Niels,

I agree with everything already said -- I've heard nothing but good things about Wadkin Bursgreen equipment (roughly comparable, as far as I know, to older Unisaw, Powermatic, General). Plus, if it's accurate and operates smoothly, a sliding table can be a great, great feature.

Do you know the size motor it has?
    Don't know the size of the motor, but in about an hour I'll be looking at it with my own eyes.

I contacted another SMC member that shared some valuable information about key points to check on this saw and with that in mind I feel prepared to make a go/no go decision today.

So, I'll keep y'all posted later - so far thank you very much everyone for you oppinions and informations!

Some of the older TS had 3/4 arbors, and you have to get your blades drilled out to accomodate that size. Check it out, first.

I have an English WW friend who had a Wadkins 12 HP in Houston in his professional shop before he moved back to England to accept a teaching job a WW college there. The only way I know how to describe it was "Tank"..

Good luck...

Sarge..

Just a little update as promised:

I am now the soon-to-be owner of the saw.

Delivery will take place either this weekend or the next and then it'll be my baby :-)

It was in good condition, a 3HP 3-phase motor and it ran very quiet and with little vibration.

There are only minor things to fix - one being a new zero-insert plate and another being making a dust shroud around the motor and base of the saw.
    As I'd also like to have a crown guard, I'll most likely buy a new splitter and crown guard with integrated dust port from Felder.

Safety wise I will fit a proper emergency stop and I've also considered fitting a motor brake to it, but I'm not sure whether that warrants a complete motor replacement or if it's "just" some additional electronic. Does anyone know about this?

All in all I'm very happy with the purchase and after some tinkering and setting up, I'm sure I'll have a nice saw that will give me good service for a long time.