Thread: Powermatic PM 66 Table Saws

Question Powermatic PM 66 Table Saws

I am in the enviable position of having my choice of either of two PM 66's

One is from the early 70's when they were a darkish green with a white racing stripe. It has a 2 hp motor.

The other is from the early 90's when they were gold but still made in the USA. It has a 5 hp motor.

I'd appreciate hearing peoples' thoughts about which might be the better one to hold on to and why -- assuming that they are in roughly comparable condition and that each will end up with a good fence system?

Many thanks.

I'd go with the newer 5hp one if they are in about the same shape and price.
    I guess the only reason is I have one. Probably nothing wrong with the older one either if it is a good deal

I too would go with the gold one to have the bigger motor, all else being equal. Possibly an easier supply of parts should that be necessary, being the machine is more current. If there are any condition issues I'd probably pick the one in better condition. I have an early 2000's PM66, still made in USA, very solid machine I enjoy owning.

I also would go with the newer, 5hp unit. I have never heard of the PM 66 table saws having a time period that people say to avoid, so I suspect you will be well served with either unit. The new one has a more powerful motor and has probably fewer hours of use on it. The PM 66 have long been considered among the best of table saws that can be owned. Good luck with your decision, please post pictures with your choice.

I have the gold w/3hp motor and at work there are several green one's w/3hp motors.Both are the same,one is no better than the other only alittle older.I would look over both very careful,checking the front and back tunions and making sure that the worm gears are not strip any.Then if both are in good shape and the only difference is the motor size,maybe you can get the smaller one at a good savings.Keeping a sharp blade will just about null 5hp vs 2hp.Good luck and post some pics of your new to you purchase---Carroll

I have a Dec. '97 PM6 Gold, 5HP. Awesome saw. It was my first major purchase over the internet.

How do I remember it was Dec 17, 1997? I wrote on it the with a Sharpie when I got it.

I bought a gold one new in 1990. I was made in the USA, same castings and parts as the older green ones. The motor was Baldor, and the electrics were top brand US made. I'd go with the Gold one unless the green one is in a lot better shape cosmetically...joe

I have a 1996 PM 66 3 HP and absolutely love it. You won't regret purchasing either of them. (On a side note, I purchased mine a few months ago off craigslist. It came on a mobile base. I have a buddy with a tilting car trailer that has a low clearance to the ground. It made moving this heavy saw painless. 3 of us pushed it right on, drove an hour to my shop and wheeled it right off with out breaking a sweat.) I have heard of others removing the top for transport but then you have to be careful to note where the shims belong when you put it back together so if you can get by moving it all in one piece the better!