Thread: finish going solid.

finish going solid.

my finish is start to go solid. I am going to transfer it to a different canister but is there anyone to make it liquid again. I had to break through a 1/8 hardened finish to get to the good stuff.

My dad told me I could add like IPA or some sort of alcohol. Is he right and what do I use? Could I heat it up, or would that make it harder?

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images

What you thin your finish with depends upon what it is, but you don't say...

Also, there's a product called "Bloxygen" that you can spray into partially used cans of finish to help keep this from happening. I think it's just CO2 which displaces air.

oops, forgot to post what it is.

Attached Images Attached Images

Alex - next time you go to apply the finish - pour some into a small plastic container, add a little mineral spirits, stir and you'll be fine.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

IPA (India Pale Ale) belongs in a frosty glass!

Look on the label to see what you would use to clean up. That's probably what to use as a solvent/thinner. I don't think you'll be able to reconstitute the hard layer though.
    Blessings, Steve

Alex,
    I didn't have good results when I tried to thin some thickening Minwax antique oil with the appropriate solvent. I was able to thin it temporarily but it thickened into a solid within a few weeks.

Hopefully you'll have better luck!

Finish is like sandpaper, fresh is so much nicer to work with.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Three ways: 1. As you use the finish, add clean pebbles to the can to keep it full to the top (no air in the can that way).

2. Use the commercial gas suggested, or just use propane from your soldering torch (no flame - just spray gas in and close the lid.)

3. Take on larger projects than need all of the finish!

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Alex, I had a similar problem with the same finish. I don't turn enough to use up the amount in a quart can so I started buying pints. I don't have to throw away so much now. I really like this finish and use it on most of my pieces.

Good luck.

Marc Himes

Marc does what I do. Not just Salad Bowl Finish, but any kind of poly will do the same thing. So I just buy smaller cans. Also, I sort of look at that loss as the cost of doing the project. Considering the time and labor that goes into the project, having fresh finish is money well spent.