Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fences do not make good neighbors

Having dealt with a number of property line disputes (not with my own property; fortunate that I couldn't ask for better neighbors), IMHO the best approach to these issues is to use tact. It can get extremely ugly with people calling wanting their neighbor's kids charged with trespassing for coming on their property to get a ball, criminal damage to property since the neighbor mowed slightly over "the line", allegations property stakes were moved and even violence.... Ridiculous stuff. Next, the border is blanketed with no trespassing signs and video taping starts. Often at least one party intentionally begins antagonizing the other to try to catch them acting disorderly, etc.... on video. Often they get obsessed with the dispute and do not listen to any reason. Then the lawsuit over a property line. Total waste of everyone's time and could generally have been avoided with some tact.

So good choice OP IMO.

Find him a girlfriend. That should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Moyer View Post
    Having said that; I once had the neighbor who was a jerk to put it bluntly, the sidewalk along my house was right next to the property line and against my house; when it snowed the ideal way to remove the snow was to shovel it on to his lawn next to his house;

I can see issues with that, if he has water in the basement issues.

My neighbor asked me to change my gutters back, after I took off a long extension and put down a splashblock at an angle. I was able to prove that wasn't his water issues, and while he has done the hard work, he hasn't done the easist and most successful solution, adding soil to raise the dirt level so it washes away from the house. He won't believe me how simple that might help. (lawn is flat then aims down towards the foundation).

That is my good neighbor (and the only thing he didn't believe me on). My bad neighbor, I share a driveway with. It is a rental that they are way behind (over a year), and the house is in horrible shape. I think the only reason it is still there, is the historic connection the house has (former relative of Truman, and HE never blocked the driveway when visiting, like the renters do).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I would never suggest putting Round-Up in your sprayer and writing "bad" words into his lawn. That would just be wrong, very funny, but wrong.
    Round-up is distructive. A partial bag of fertilizer, in a drop spreader is better. It keeps growing back in and much greener then the rest of the lawn.

Dan,
    You mentioned that he is a 'crochety old man'. That suggests to me that it is probably more difficult for him to do yard work than most people, yet he does it to his credit. I'm betting it's even more frustrating to him when he has to continually keep doing it.

You mention that you had some health issues and have a wife that likes to write letters. Perhaps she can put down the pen and pick up the rake instead? It will probably go a lot further to mend the issue.

Being at odds with a neighbor diminishes the quality of homelife for both neighbors...and, it can last a long time. Avoid it, even if it hurts a little now.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    Find him a girlfriend. That should do it.
    Or at least rent him one on Craigslist.

(Note that I am not suggesting calling the cops when she shows up for their "date"...that would be mean. )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Dan,
    You mentioned that he is a 'crochety old man'. That suggests to me that it is probably more difficult for him to do yard work than most people, yet he does it to his credit. I'm betting it's even more frustrating to him when he has to continually keep doing it.

You mention that you had some health issues and have a wife that likes to write letters. Perhaps she can put down the pen and pick up the rake instead? It will probably go a lot further to mend the issue.

Being at odds with a neighbor diminishes the quality of homelife for both neighbors...and, it can last a long time. Avoid it, even if it hurts a little now.

-Jeff
    I think a better description for him is a 60-65 year old retired PITA with nothing better to do. One of my other neighbors also informed me of his lack of neighborliness when I told him of the problem.

Regarding my wife... She would love to help more, but with a full time job and a heavy load from law school, she just does not have the time to be out in the yard helping me out.

I have put it in the past. I will just ignore him and move on with my life.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

The socially uncomfortable situation aside, check the codes in your jurisdiction.

As someone mentioned, if you do nothing about the fence then you may find out some time from now that what was a part of your property now belongs to your neighbor. Even if he erects a 2 inch thick fence with the center of the fence running along the property line he is still trespassing by one inch. All of the fence has to be on his property unless the fence is jointly owned.

In some jurisdictions, even if you agree that he installs the fence on your side of the property line that would still be illegal as property lines are administrative boundaries not to be changed by the land owners at will.

Not to mention what the laws are regarding fencing in your area. You don't want to end up getting fined over an illegal fence your neighbor installed to be spiteful and you allowed trying to avoid confrontation.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garc NYC View Post
    I'd pull it right out. He can have his stupid fence, as long as it's actually on his property.
    Ditto. He has no business putting a fence on YOUR property.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

11. When I moved in I had a good neighbor and a bad one. The good neighbor let weeds grow 4' tall everywhere. Had 3 dead vehicles parked out front. Had a toilet in the front yard for nearly a year. The entire family were fanatic Raiders football fans. Every game they opened all the doors and windows, got drunk, and screamed profanities during the entire game. It took 3 complete 30' trash containers to clean out their back yard after they moved everything out they wanted.

Yes, they were the good neighbors.

Both have moved and I now have 2 good neighbors.

Welp, it happened again. I was able to get probably 2/3 of the leaves cleaned up before our month long trip to Dallas for the holidays. I did the best I could, but as primary care giver of a then 7-8 month old daughter, my time outside was limited. I hired some local kids to help, but they never finished the jobs. Due to last nights blizzard, some of the leaves that were on the street in front of our house were plowed up onto the easement in front of his property. He confronted me today while I was clearing the driveway and demanded that I clean up the leaves in front of his house or "things will get really ugly, real fast." I said nothing and continued on with the driveway.

I will take the high road this time and pull them off onto the street later when my wife is done with work and can take over on child care. If he comes to my front door to go at it again, I will call the police.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    What about a short handwritten note to the effect that:

After considering our discussion further, I am asking you to remove the fence that you installed. I understand your feelings about yard debris, but want you to recognize that installation of fencing on another person's property without consent is neither legal nor neighborly. You are, of course, free to reinstall the fencing on your own property. Should you elect not to remove it, I will remove the fencing, consider the materials as debris left on my property, and dispose of it.

I recognize that you feel strongly about the yard debris that you perceive as emanating from my yard. I will say, that due to business travel and health reasons, my yard is not in the condition I would ideally like it to be in. With that in mind, I will endeavor to work on maintaining things on a more regular schedule.

Maybe a bit of sugar to help the vinegar go down, or whatever they say.

PS. I find it somewhat odd that aesthetically he prefers a black mesh fence staked into the ground that some stuff that may make it into his yard. I think you may just live next door to Oscar the Grouch.

+1. On the one hand, you need to accept some responsibility for not being a "good neighbor" and keeping your yard clean. On the other hand, your neighbor could and should have handled things better, and brought his concerns to you directly before taking action.

Eric's advice is very sound, IMO.

It's easier to use the lawn mower and turn leaves into mulch, than it is to rake them up.
    I've been doing it for 33 years here.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    He confronted me today while I was clearing the driveway and demanded that I clean up the leaves in front of his house or "things will get really ugly, real fast."
    I honestly think your neighbor is unbalanced.

Even if he was upset, he owes you a nice visit where he kindly asks you to do something, rather than jumping to threats.

I'd keep my distance.

I'm not telling you to be a chicken or anything. But you want to avoid someone that cares so much about a few leaves that he is getting in your face.

Wasn't it just last summer that some nut-job killed a neighborhood kid or someone for walking on his lawn? Made the national news.

I might be inclined to keep a record of dates/times he speaks to you and write down what he has to say. I'd also take pictures of any fences, etc., that he places. It may come in handy if you need to get the officials involved.