Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fences do not make good neighbors

lol, I keep trying to relay my similar story but can't keep it succinct enough so I won't do many details

My guess is he's always gotten his way by acting that way, feels for some reasons that he's owed help and deference and probably feels all the other neighbors would take his side (though I bet he's wrong).

I agree with Phil to keep a record of every dealing with him/his actions. When I finally confronted my neighbor I actually considered recording the talk with my phone as I was worried he'd call the cops and say I threatened him and for that same reason I did everything I could to not do anything that would be viewed as agressive (waited to catch him outside rather than going and knocking on his door, stayed on my property, etc...)

Our 'chat' didn't resolve anything, but it did give me some insight into why he thinks/acts like he does. Ithe 45 years he'd lived there, no one had ever stood up to him before, and he did not like it. Under the circumstances he should be happy that all I did was 'talk to him like no one ever has before'.

I now just avoid him at all costs and no longer help him with anything, ever.
    Pat

How's this one for neighborliness? I sold a chunk of my back woods and when the surveyor staked the place he discovered that one of my neighbors driveway was 2 feet over the line in one spot. Buyer wanted a quitclaim so that the neighbor made no legal claim to the land in question and would move his driveway if requested in the future -- probably his lawyer or the bank wanted it. The neighbor refused and tried to shake me down for some $! -- so I can't close on the sale. My lawyer told him that if the quitclaim wasn't signed we'd dig up his drive and fence it off and then sue him for the costs -- long story short he decided to sign "in the interests of neighborliness"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    Am I wrong to feel slighted? At what point should I pull this fence down, given that it is on my property. I am tempted to do it now, but I am going to take the high road and leave it up for now until I get the back yard into better shape.

How would you handle this?

Thanks,

Dan
    If its on your property you can do whatever you want to it. I will say though, I am the guy putting up the fences around my place. After kids kicking balls into my wifes car, loose dogs pooping all over my lawn, trash blowing into my yard... and the major thing that made me mad, a big tree they never maintain coating my whole front lawn 6" deep in leaves and me and my wife out there cleaning it up for hours (I don't have any trees on my property) and the neighbor walking by just looking at us and not offering to help or even apologizing... can't really talk to them because my Spanish is not so great. I'd put a block wall with razor wire and automatic turret guns around my house if I could... For now I settled for a mesh fence. Works pretty good to keep the leaves and trash on their property. When the dogs come around and poop all over I just fling it into their cars (when the windows are open) or onto them. Some people have no consideration (not saying this about you of course, I don't know you) and sometimes you just have to put your foot down and fight back. "Do unto them..."

I feel slighted when people mess with my property, and if someone put a fence (or anything else for that matter) on my property without talking to me I'd remove it. Just be SURE its your property before you mess with anything. On the other side of the coin, if these people touch my fence which I've definitely put up on my own property I'd break their legs.

Neighbors, can't live with em', and you can't live with em' haha My next house is going to be out in the sticks somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    If its on your property you can do whatever you want to it. I will say though, I am the guy putting up the fences around my place. After kids kicking balls into my wifes car, loose dogs pooping all over my lawn, trash blowing into my yard... and the major thing that made me mad, a big tree they never maintain coating my whole front lawn 6" deep in leaves and me and my wife out there cleaning it up for hours (I don't have any trees on my property) and the neighbor walking by just looking at us and not offering to help or even apologizing... can't really talk to them because my Spanish is not so great. I'd put a block wall with razor wire and automatic turret guns around my house if I could... For now I settled for a mesh fence. Works pretty good to keep the leaves and trash on their property. When the dogs come around and poop all over I just fling it into their cars (when the windows are open) or onto them. Some people have no consideration (not saying this about you of course, I don't know you) and sometimes you just have to put your foot down and fight back. "Do unto them..."

I feel slighted when people mess with my property, and if someone put a fence (or anything else for that matter) on my property without talking to me I'd remove it. Just be SURE its your property before you mess with anything. On the other side of the coin, if these people touch my fence which I've definitely put up on my own property I'd break their legs.

Neighbors, can't live with em', and you can't live with em' haha My next house is going to be out in the sticks somewhere.
    Wow. Really? They may not be very neighborly, but they haven't been doing anything purposefully as you state you have. Be careful. You could be one of those we hear about on the news. Throwing poop onto someone or into their vehicle can result in an extreme response.