Thread: Shop Fox Mobile Base

Shop Fox Mobile Base

I have been given a one year old Shop Fox Heavy-duty Mobile Base that says it is rated for 700 pounds. I have put my Unisaw without the wings on it and I can hardly move it. The saw will slide inside the base before it will move. I raised it up and all the wheels turn. There are two that swivel and two that do not. I had a mobile base made for my 1000 pound band saw and it moves better than this. Has anybody used one of these that could tell me if I need to adjust something? Thanks for the help.

Silly question,but are any of the lock down pads touching the floor? I have one of those on my 600# table saw. It can be moved-I just swivel the saw sideways a little to cut long boards. I wouldn't want to have to move it several feet,though. I think you really would need to get some heavy duty casters and make a decent one as you did for your bandsaw.

No problem, I double checked the pads and they are up. It just surprised me that it was that hard to move.

hi jack,
    i purchased the 1200 # heavy duty version at a great price ( these things come with some cheap wheels.). i had trouble moving my bandsaw. so i added rectangular tube and 2 more out riggers that lift the other end up and 3 inch woodcraft wheels and a handle that makes moving it very easy.
    tim m.

The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

I had the 700 pound base on my bandsaw and hated it. It moved terribly.

I moved locations recently and didn't bother to put it back on. I've considered replacing the casters on it, but for now it sits unused since it's so difficult to move.

I think Shopfox just uses lousy casters. I have the next lighter model on my bandsaw. Griz replaced the first (almost totally useless) set on mine FOC. They were better, but still just sleeve bearings - and fairly cude, rough ones at that. I finally replaced the swivels with a pair of Woodcraft post mount and the non-swivels with some I had from HF. Huge difference - and way easier than having to replace the base.
    - Tom

It's caused by cheap casters.

I don't know about where you live, however where I live good casters with roller bearings are around $35 to $50 each.

I make bases for heavy equipment in the semi-live skid style.

Two high quality wheels with roller bearings and a pull handle with the same wheels.

For my General 650 with extension table and Excalibur overarm guard, I used Colson casters. It pushes very easilly.

Regards, Rod.

I had the same problem and it was bad casters. Luckily the base was still under warranty, and they sent new casters. It rolls now, but I still dislike the base.

Smile This is my solution . . .

Support the "CREEK" . . .

Ditto the bad caster experience (from China), and the replacements Grizzly sent being much better (this under a 380-lb bandsaw). I have a 6-year old SF (from Taiwan) under the 1023SL/Craftsman combo, though, that moves very easily. Quality went to HIAHB somewhere along the line, methinks.