Thread: Another Old Gloat

Blog Entries

Another Old Gloat

Baaaaah!

My brother came up to help rebuild our green house that collapsed due to heavy snow this year.

He has found me many old tools in the past. I am pretty good at scrounging up useable cast offs, but he takes the cake. For a few years he even made a living dumpster diving. He moved on when too many other people were catching on and getting into the business.

When he came up, he brought something he knew I have been wanting for quite a while, an old grind stone. He found one at an estate sale for $40. The metal frame will likely become a garden ornament. The stone looks to be in good condition and is about an inch and a half by about twenty inches. Just have to come up with a frame and treadle drive for it.

jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim, the actual frame is no good?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Jim, the actual frame is no good?
    It is pretty rusty and doesn't look like it would support me. A wooden frame with a separate stool might work better. Maybe something with wheels on it to make it easier to take to the farmer's markets and such.

Just a thought.

jim

On the design of the frame, think of some sort of "splash" gard or "fender" so you don't get soaked...I saw a post by Chris Shwarz and it looked like he'd peed him self!!

Those things are really cool, our local Cracker Barrel has one outside and I always look it over when Im outside having a smoke.
    Nice score, Im interested in seeing what you do with it!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Stone

That's a nice find.

Jim,I am glad you found that stone. I had been thinking about sending you my stone.I would have had to build a form fitting crate,though,and was having doubts if it wouldn't arrive broken. Your wheel is better than mine,anyway.Mine isn't as large.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Those things are really cool, our local Cracker Barrel has one outside and I always look it over when Im outside having a smoke.
    Nice score, Im interested in seeing what you do with it!!
    When something is finally done with it, it will get posted. There are so many things in line in front of it that it will be a while. Fortunately, we should start having some sunny weather so the green house can get finished. Getting that up and operational is next in the queue.

Then there is the Honey Do List.

jim

Stone

"Then there is the Honey Do List."

I don't know about you, but that list grows faster than I can cross them off.

Nice find on the stone by your brother. But why are you taking it to the Farmers Market? Do you do demo's?

I hope this is not an old gloat from an old goat!