Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unisaw loading question

Unisaw loading question

May have found an old running Unisaw for restoration. Any ideas how one guy with a pickup can load one of those? Is some gizmo available for rent that would pickup the thing up (some kind of hoist I'm guessing) , roll over my pickup bed, and let me lower it? Would this hypothetical thing fit on the back of my (small) pickup along with the saw?

Any advise much appreciated.

If I had to do it by myself, some disassembly would be required. I would take the top off (keep track of where the shims go), and remove the motor. That would give you 3 pieces that i suspect can be handled a lot more easily. That goes for getting it out of the truck as well.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Thanks. I just emailed the guy and he assures me we can get it on my truck. When I get it home, I'll be tearing it down to clean, inspect, and paint anyway, so I'll just do that on the truck and carry the pieces.

A Unisaw weighs about 500 lbs, so moving it isn't a job that can be done by just one person, unless you take it apart and move the pieces separately. When I bought my 1986 Unisaw, I used a refrigerator type hand truck and a trailer. I removed the 52" fence rail and side table before moving it. Then I used the strap on the hand truck around the saw just below the table to secure it, and then wheeled it out of the seller's garage and into my trailer. The seller helped me load it into the trailer by pushing as I pulled. I left the hand truck attached and just secured both with straps from both sides of the trailer in the upright position, but it could just as easily have been laid down on the hand truck in the back of a pickup truck and tied in place. It made the 2 hour trip home without any problems and I had a son help me unload it and bring it into my shop. Then I spent a day cleaning and re-assembling the fence and side table. I have since gone completely through it, replacing belts, checking bearings, lubricating everything, and doing a complete alignment check.

If you are doing it alone, even if you have a hand truck, take the side tables and the top off and remove the motor. This should make all of the pieces light enough for you to move by yourself. Make sure that you keep track of where the shims go when you remove the top. I would suggest taking zip lock sandwich bags and a marker to keep track of where each shim and bolt came from so that you can put everything back in it's correct place. Alignment is tough enough without having to figure out where and how much to shim each mounting point.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    A Unisaw weighs about 500 lbs, so moving it isn't a job that can be done by just one person,

Charley
    Um, I would have to disagree with that

I have moved an older unisaw on to job sites all the time
    simply back the truck up next to it
    tip the top onto the bed of the truck
    flip the saw over

Then it is upside down for travel unload the same way

yes it is easier with two people,

but

With the use of your brain you can easily move things safely with some minor items like blocking and levers my brother in law a trucker of over wieght items has shown me many ways to move things easily that are way bigger than you

check this out for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

Thanks for the great advise. Waiting for an email to confirm the sale, scheduled vacation for Friday to go get it, even got my wife's blessing on the deal.

Yep...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...05619#poststop

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    May have found an old running Unisaw for restoration. Any ideas how one guy with a pickup can load one of those? Is some gizmo available for rent that would pickup the thing up (some kind of hoist I'm guessing) , roll over my pickup bed, and let me lower it? Would this hypothetical thing fit on the back of my (small) pickup along with the saw?

Any advise much appreciated.

For people who use the shop crane, what do you do if the legs are not wide enough to straddle the machine?

When I purchased my Unisaw, I rented a pick-up w/ a hydralic lift. Might be something to look into. The delaer put in on the truck bed w/ a fork lift, & then j@ home friend & just backed the truck into the garage about 3' from where I wanted it. When the lift gate lowered it, it was just about 18" or so off the mark....

If you turn it up side down, make sure the truck bed is spotlessly clean.

Anyway, no matter how you move it, stout & ample straps & tie downs are cheap insurance.

Take a $40 HF chain hoist and a strap with you. Hook it to a garage joist and lift it in. Put a 2x4 under the joist to carry the load.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Having actually done this, here's what I recommend:

Top removal method (best for small cars, least weightlifting):
    1. Lower blade. The top comes off with 4 bolts. With two wings, it's still a good lift, but very doable for most people. If you're not sure, remove the wings, then the top.
    2. The handwheels are easily damaged, so if possible, take them off. Pull the lock knob, and remove the set screw (Delta's favorite size 5/32" allen head). The handwheel should pull off if it's not rusted. Now put two of the bolts from the top into the bores where the lock knobs were (it's the same thread) so you don't lose the pins or wedges. Pack the handwheels table insert and lock knobs in your car so you don't forget them.
    3. Take the dust doors off (if they're not already gone) and pack them too.
    4. The body of the saw is still heavy, but you can "walk" it next to your van or pickup. The trick to loading is to tip the saw against the edge, then flip it up so the vehicle takes the weight of the top of the saw, then shove it in sideways. A piece of melamine, cardboard, or hardboard helps with the slide.

Whole and upside-down method (best for strong guys and/or if you have a van with a low door or a trailer:
    1. Remove doors, insert and and handwheels as above. (or skip the handwheels if you're feeling lucky).

Walk the saw to the vehicle with the back to the edge of the vehicle door
    2. Same lean and lift technique, but flip it upside down resting on the table.

Your mileage may vary if someone's put a mag starter in an odd place. It's better to remove it than risk trashing it.

The upside down method works great for the Delta HD shaper too though you may have to pull the spindle first. Unlike the Uni, the shaper has the works bolted to the table, so the table removal method is considerably different.

Pete

I helped Dewey load up a Unisaw last year. Here's what we did:

- Rent a set of steel ramps from Home Depot. It's very cheap.
    - Buy, rent or borrow a small, flat dolly with heavy duty wheels
    - Tip the Unisaw up on one end and slide the dolly underneath
    - Straighten the saw and slide it all the way over the dolly
    - Roll the dolly and saw up the ramps and into the truck bed (this will take at least two people)
    - Strap down the saw very well in the truck

To unload the saw, reverse the procedure. This was surprisingly easy, especially when you consider Dewey and I collectively weigh under 300 pounds.

Thanks for the procedure. I was already planning to remove the top if at all possible to inspect the innards. I wouldn't have thought twice about the hand wheels!

I've got about half my hand tools at my folks house where I've been doing some work, so I don't have the luxury of just throwing everythign into the truck. I've got a spare set of Allen wrenches, so hand wheels should be covered, what wrenches/sockets do I need for removing the top? I'll see if I can find a manual, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    Having actually done this, here's what I recommend:

Top removal method (best for small cars, least weightlifting):
    1. Lower blade. The top comes off with 4 bolts. With two wings, it's still a good lift, but very doable for most people. If you're not sure, remove the wings, then the top.
    2. The handwheels are easily damaged, so if possible, take them off. Pull the lock knob, and remove the set screw (Delta's favorite size 5/32" allen head). The handwheel should pull off if it's not rusted. Now put two of the bolts from the top into the bores where the lock knobs were (it's the same thread) so you don't lose the pins or wedges. Pack the handwheels table insert and lock knobs in your car so you don't forget them.
    3. Take the dust doors off (if they're not already gone) and pack them too.
    4. The body of the saw is still heavy, but you can "walk" it next to your van or pickup. The trick to loading is to tip the saw against the edge, then flip it up so the vehicle takes the weight of the top of the saw, then shove it in sideways. A piece of melamine, cardboard, or hardboard helps with the slide.

Whole and upside-down method (best for strong guys and/or if you have a van with a low door or a trailer:
    1. Remove doors, insert and and handwheels as above. (or skip the handwheels if you're feeling lucky).

Walk the saw to the vehicle with the back to the edge of the vehicle door
    2. Same lean and lift technique, but flip it upside down resting on the table.

Your mileage may vary if someone's put a mag starter in an odd place. It's better to remove it than risk trashing it.

The upside down method works great for the Delta HD shaper too though you may have to pull the spindle first. Unlike the Uni, the shaper has the works bolted to the table, so the table removal method is considerably different.

Pete

I've got ramps, but they are the ladder looking type and I don't have anything other than the riding mower that I think will roll up them. Do they make a dolly with larger enough tires to work on that kind of ramp? Wonder if i can attach something to those ramps to give a smooth surface for rolling...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I helped Dewey load up a Unisaw last year. Here's what we did:

- Rent a set of steel ramps from Home Depot. It's very cheap.
    - Buy, rent or borrow a small, flat dolly with heavy duty wheels
    - Tip the Unisaw up on one end and slide the dolly underneath
    - Straighten the saw and slide it all the way over the dolly
    - Roll the dolly and saw up the ramps and into the truck bed (this will take at least two people)
    - Strap down the saw very well in the truck

To unload the saw, reverse the procedure. This was surprisingly easy, especially when you consider Dewey and I collectively weigh under 300 pounds.

Mythical $300 Unisaw

No longer a myth. Picked it up in Nashville yesterday. Runs smooth, the adjustments move the blade height and angle smoothly. Has a 1 HP repulsion induction motor. Haven't run down the vintage yet, but all the patent notices on the label were from the 1930's. Was going to post the Craigslist pictures, but the posting has already been deleted. I'll snap some pics as soon as I figure out how to get it out of my truck. Heck I'd settle for figuring out how to set it back upright in the truck

It's missing all the usual stuff, blade guard, doors, and motor cover. Looks like I can get a reproduction cover and make the rest. Haven't had the chance to tear everything down yet, but It appears to be in good shape. Thinking I might send the arbor assembly to the Saw Center guys and have it reworked...