Thread: What species would you suggest??

What species would you suggest??

Haven't turned much over the past few years but need to now for a client. I've got to turn 16 table legs (diningroom style) and will need to laminate 4/4 boards together first. My question is, if staining, what species should I use. I'd like to keep it inexpensive, how about maple or poplar, or ???

Thanks!

what color are you staining it?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Maple can be a real bugger to stain...especially if you are using an oil based stain that you want to penetrate the wood. In my experience, it seems too dense to accept stain well. I tried a few pieces, including a daybed with bunch of spindles, and it turned out OK, but not my favorite. Another option, rather than staining for maple might be to use dyes. I've never used them, but a lot of folks swear by them

Poplar will stain well, but the base wood can run the gamut from blond to green, so you may have problems matching the stain color for all the turnings...especially if you are using glued up stock. However, if you stain it dark...say a walnut stain, then you will probably be OK with poplar.

White or red Oak are always popular woods for tables and chairs, and it accepts stains well.

a nice tight grained pine would work
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

what wood are you using?

If you are asking for advice, either maple or walnut would be my choice. Maple can be stained, I use "Old Masters" brand stain, and it gives maple a nice mild color that really enhances the grain anamolies. I would not consider most of the other woods, as they are too expensive, or unfit for a household use.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

It would partly depend on the design of the legs. I wouldn't use poplar if they will be thin and delicate because it wouldn't be strong enough. Maple would be good if you can get it to take the stain. Yellow and red birch are good, tight grained hardwoods that is fairly strong and should take stain well. If you are looking for something with a bolder grain then I would recommend ash as a strong wood that turns well and accepts stain well.

Good Luck!
    Bob

Thanks to all!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will see what looks good, and uniform, at the hardwood supplier and probably try either ash or a tight grained pine.

I have laminated and stained Alder - it is a fairly straight grained, easy to tool and color. Mike