Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet 15cs 3hp planer vs. dewalt 735? seeking feedback

Jet 15cs 3hp planer vs. dewalt 735? seeking feedback

Money,220v, and stands not in the equasion which do you all prefer and why?

It seems to me the extra power would be a major plus but I've also heard some folks say they still like the dewalt cut better.

Thanks!

The Jet would be quieter, have 2 more inches of cut and you can take off more per pass. I have a Delta lunch box and I am wanting to upgrade for those reasons. I also want a shelix head which you can get for the Dewalt.

Edit to add.
    As far as cut goes, I don't consider anything straight out of a planer to be ready to finish.

I have a 3 hp pm and agree that they run quieter and have more power....But what are you looking to do ? If you buy your wood rough and need to clean it up, by all means purchase the Jet, the DeWalt 735 is a finishing planer and will take for ever to truly dimension your wood. If you buy your S2S and you're trying to do mostly small cuts on it, or you don't run alot of wood through it at one time, buy the DeWalt because it does give a better finish to the wood. The DeWalt has very little tear out on figured wood, for the Jet to have a really good finish on it it would need a BYRD or Shelix head. If money is not a real concern, then buy the Jet with one of the insert heads and you'll have everything.

Good Luck,
    Jimmy

I've got a 735, and while it does a good job, it's much noisier than the jet. The jet is a much more robust machine that should last much longer than the 735.

I've never owned a lunchbox planer, however I have used them.

I would purchase the stationary planer, deeper cut depth, the planer will last a lifetime and speed up your work.

Regards, Rod.

I have the 735 and it's a great machine. Surface finish is very good, dust collection is outstanding. However, when/if I can afford it, I'd like to upgrade to a beefier planer like Jet or something similar. Some additional width is always nice, but IMO the ability to bring stock to final dimensions a little more quickly is a big plus. The 735 works very well, but you can't hog off too much per pass without causing it to bog down, and it IS noisy. Even though it works every well on difficult grain, I may upgrade to a shelix cutter head for it before moving to that stationary planer someday.

And yes, it is noisy.

Bottom line, if you've got the bucks, go with the Jet.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

I've got the Dewalt 735, but I wouldn't put it in the same league at all as a 15" stationary planer. It's a totally different machine.

The Dewalt is fine for surface thicknessing fairly small amounts of wood (like 30-50bf) at a time but it is not a production tool like a 15" planer. Sure the surface is really smooth, maybe better than a 15" planer, but you still have to sand to get uniform roughness for staining or painting.

What I like about the Dewalt is that it was cheap (relative to a 15" full-scale planer) and portable so I can put it on a low shelf when I'm done with it. It's noisy, but then again so is pretty much every shop tool- so I'm wearing my earmuffs regardless.

I have the Dewalt 735 also, and feel the same way as the other posters. It's a good machine for the money, and leaves a nice surface, but it's not meant for taking off much material. It's far better than a standard lunchbox planer, but completely different than a stand alone unit.

I was saving up for something bigger, but when I saw a near new 735 with two sets of blades for $200, I just couldn't pass it up.

IMO, which one would be right for you depends on what you would use it for.

Thanks everyone... I have the 735 now but was thinking of upgrading. Does it make much sense to have both the 735 and a larger stationary system?

I do both 2s2 and rough lumber.

I would always choose a stationary machine over a portable one for shop use. The Dewalt is nice for what it is but its still a low duty small motor planer. The Jet is going to be heavy duty and last a lot longer. Ive not had much luck with what I call disposable lunch box planers.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post
    Thanks everyone... I have the 735 now but was thinking of upgrading. Does it make much sense to have both the 735 and a larger stationary system?

A lot of people keep both. The lunchbox is good when you have to take off small amounts because it has the rubber infeed and outfeed rollers. They don't leave the marks that the serated rollers do when you take off small amounts. I don't know the minimal removal to not leave marks is.

Quote Originally Posted by travis howe View Post

I personally think it makes sense if you can get a good used deal on a 15" planer, my PM (an older model M-15 was $400)was cheap enough, and if I ever find a really good deal on a 735 I'd mount it on top of my stationary because I have seen some on the smooth work it has done on birds eye maple.

Just my two cents worth.

Jimmy

I had a 735 and liked it a lot. Now I have a General 130 and like it better. Slightly more capacity, more grunt and much quieter. I think 735s put out over 100 db.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I have the Dewalt
    It might be noisy, but I always wear my ear muffs for most of my tools.
    OK, it takes less off on hard or wide wood to keep from bogging down, but I have plenty of time. Mine is a hobby shop, not production.
    If I need to do some real heavy planing, I have a Performax available to me.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I just sold my 735. Before you by one conceder the accessories you'll need since it comes with nothing.