Thread: Shellac over an oil ????

Shellac over an oil ????

Quick question: I am making a cherry bowfront table and I want the cherry to darken over time like it usually does with an oil finish. But i would also like to spray this piece.

So the questions:
    1. Will there be a "not so nice" reaction between shellac and BLO for instance? or would this be ok?
    2. If I forget the BLO and just spray shellac will the cherry darken over time? or is that just a characteristic of oil finishes?

Any ideas or recommendations are greatly appreciated!
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Just be sure the BLO cures, and you should be all set.

I've found putting the piece out in the sun after applying the BLO really helps the aging process. Depending on outside temps, might speed up the curing too.

Shellac will not impede the darkening over time of cherry.

Nick, why not just spray it with a low luster lacquer?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Many folks use shellac over BLO before putting on a topcoat. Most put it on as soon as the BLO is dry, but to be safe you could wipe down the piece with a 50:50 solution of water and denatured alchohol to make sure there are no mineral spirits left from the BLO.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps View Post
    Nick, why not just spray it with a low luster lacquer?

No real reason i guess. I was just exploring other options. And with my experience with various finishes, which is VERY limited, it seems to me that oil finishes darken more than shellac does... again i dont have the historical data on my pieces going back far enough to prove one or the other. Maybe I will just give that a whirl!

Thanks,
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

>> 1. Will there be a "not so nice" reaction between shellac and BLO for instance? or would this be ok?

No, it should be fine as long as you allow the BLO to cure for 3-4 days. BLO need oxygen to cure and shellac is the most effective excluder of air and oxygen.

>> 2. If I forget the BLO and just spray shellac will the cherry darken over time? or is that just a characteristic of oil finishes?

Cherry will darken whether you use the BLO or not. And, cherry will darken under any clear finish. The only thing that will prevent cherry from darkening is to put it in the closet. Applying a finish that contains a UV inhibitor will slow down the coloring for a year or so but after that it will darken naturally.

All that said, my favorite finish for nice cherry is a light wipe of BLO almost immediately wiped dry. Then a 3-4 day cure followed by an amber shellac. Then a couple of wiped on or brushed non-poly varnish.
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    I've used dewaxed shellac over BLO many times. No problems although I have always allowed ample time for the oil to dry.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well good.

I think i may just spray shellac for the sake of time. I have to deliver this piece this weekend thus i dont have time to wait for the BLO to dry. I guess i will have to wait for the next project to test out the BLO.

Thanks for the help all!
    NWB

any oil varnish will serve the same purpose as the BLO.

i use waterlox as an oil sealer, when i want an oil sealer. dries overnight.

I have sprayed shellac over BLO in as short as 3-4 hours on walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I have sprayed shellac over BLO in as short as 3-4 hours on walnut.
    I've applied it even sooner. And Jeff Jewitt showed a technique in Fine Woodworking a couple years back of "immediate" shellac application after BLO...which I've also tried with great success.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...