Thread: I need ideas for new shop Layout

I need ideas for new shop Layout

29 x 37 shop how would you layout the equipment
    I have tried multiple times and looking for a clean start without my prior thoughts involved
    Here is a list of tools used in my shop:
    1. 10" Cabinet Saw
    2. 8" joiner
    3. 15" planer
    4. 14" bandsaw
    5. 17" bandsaw
    6. 16/48 lathe
    7. floor mounted drill press
    8. benchtop mortiser
    9. 9x18 mill (large benchtop drillpress)
    10. mitersaw station
    11. router table
    12. 3 3'x7' work benches
    13. grinders
    14. belt/disk sander
    15. oscillating drum sander
    16. scroll saw

I am looking for ideas of shop layout mainly how to see to make the best use of the equipment without having to wheel it around
    here is a floor plan, I am open to all ideas

thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    No, that is not what I want

Maybe I am asking for to much

What I would like to hear is:

The tablesaw, planner, bandsaw and mitresaw should go here, here, here and here because blah blah blah and blah...

With a 29 x 37 concrete floor shop everyone should have an opinion and I would like to hear how you would arrange the equipment and why

Thanks
    phil

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    No, that is not what I want...
    What I would like to hear is:

The tablesaw, planner, bandsaw and mitresaw should go here, here, here and here because blah blah blah and blah...
    Phil, other than saying that your wood storage should go in a spot that is convenient for unloading your vehicle and that tools used to cut up and surface the wood should be close to the storage racks there isn't much else I can add to your situation. I've changed the layout of my new shop in my head and on paper many times, but until I actually see the machines in the shop next week I am not sure where all of them will go. I do plan to place my workbench close to the windows for natural light during the day and so that I have a nice view to look at while I'm working at it, but that's something very specific to my shop and may not fit your situation. The type of work you plan to do in your shop will also be a determining factor of the tool placement. Like Jimmy stated in another similar thread, "Just do it."

The only advise that I can give you is to start something in one corner and go from there. Your shop sounds alot like mine did two years ago and I still haven't gotten as much done as I wanted.

Start setting up the machines in a semi workable order, and use them. You'll soon find out that somethings need to be moved, occasionally a few times. While doing that set up some cabinets and one bench in the aforementioned corner, eventually you will find out what works and what doesn't. Then 3 years later (where I am now) I'm finally setting my big machines into permanent spots so I can set up the dust lines, air lines and even some electrical lines with the stuff that has been hanging around for the last three years. I'm not there yet, and you probably won't be there quickly either, as my shop seems to constantly need changes.

As the ad says "just do it."

Good Luck,
    Jimmy
    That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I can easily see why, after three years, that Jimmy is still changing his shop layout. I'm sure mine will evolve over time as well.

The only other advice I can add is to study the shop diagrams and photographs of established shops. I have many of these ideas saved on my computer, placed in notebooks or marked in books. Once I get started "setting up" my shop I'll refer to the ideas to see which ones will best fit my situation.

Most importantly, enjoy.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 05-16-2009 at 9:03 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

after just doing it, three times in this shop I feel the need to do it again

I use the 3' door 99.9 percent of the time
    Maybe I could start storing material in front of part of the 14' door
    I was considering putting the miter saw there...

Phil, it sounds like you're on the right track in that you're still trying to maximize your use of space. From what I've experienced and noticed in all the designs that I've looked at, there is not one solution that fits all.

Having your miter saw a and lumber rack together may be advantageous. I've seen several shops that are set up with the lumber rack above and/or below the miter saw. In my opinion there are at least a couple of advantages to that setup. Both a wood rack and the miter saw need to be on a long wall and the miter saw is usually the first tool used to start dimensioning the wood. I'm going to try that arrangement and see if I like it.

Many of the shops I've seen the lumber is stored just inside the largest door closest to the driveway. Unfortunately in my case the longest wall available is across the building from the garage door. I can still back into the building if I don't want to carry the lumber through it.

In his shop tour Sam (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111905 ) grouped his jointer, planer and table saw together. It looks like an excellent arrangement. I was planning on trying something similar in my shop and have the plugs for them and my portable DC in the middle of my floor. They will be just behind my miter saw and lumber rack.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps