Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feather Board Use?

I have Bench dog featherboards, and I use them on most of my rips, particularly longer boards. I'm also planning a clone of Sarge's spring board, because that thing just looks cool.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Honestly, I use them on my router table but almost never with my tablesaw.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA Cooper View Post
    I'm just curious how often you folks use feather boards on your table saw or router table?
    My table saw's rip fence has t-slots in both faces and on the top so it would be easy to mount feather boards but I just never have used them.
    I use a push stick design that allows me to hold the stock down all the way through the cut and it keeps my hand well away from the blade.
    Thanks for checking out my post!!!
    Michael

I almost never use them either, just lazy I guess. Once in a while if cutting something thin and I don't want it to lift off the table I will clamp a bit of wood to the fence, but that is all.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I don't have any commercially made feather boards, mine are made from scraps.

I rarely use them on the table saw, if I had a router table I would use them a lot.

For cutting narrow strips on the saw I use a strip jig, or a stock feeder.

On the shaper I use a feeder for anything that it can be used for, so I don't normally use feather boards there either.

Regards, Rod.

Grrrrrrrrr

I use my gripper jig for most small stuff.

I use a T-slot feather board for most of the the remaining cuts.

I use my tennon jig for small piece slot cutting.

Most of the stock I cut is well seasoned and has very little twist or wind. That said, it is not good policy to not use a feather board when cutting with a table saw. Kick backs are going to happen. It's well worth the few seconds to set a feather board up and it makes the cut more stable and accurate.

Dem's my 2 cents

I make my own and use them almost always on the TS. Even if it costs a few minutes' worth of set up time, I find the accuracy, safety and peace of mind to pay off in spades. I am a newbie though, so I play everything pretty safe.