Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Push Mower Recommendations?

I have a Honda mower, HRX217 model, and so far love it. I've had it for three seasons use and is flawless so far. Starts on second pull (I turn off the gas petcock and run it dry after every mowing, so it has to prime). If not it would start on the first pull. It has the hydrostatic drive unit for variable speeds. The first Honda mower I had lasted 12 years before I outgrew it. It had a smaller engine to it then. They are a little pricey but in my mind well worth it.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

I use a Toro Recycler with Personal Pace and love it. It is the best mower I've ever used hands down. I bought mine on sale for $300 a few years ago. http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/recycler/20066.html

It can mulch, side discharge, or bag. The Personal Pace self-propelled system allows for an infinite number of speeds from 0-4.8 mph. The harder you push, the faster it goes. It even has a feature where you connect the garden hose to the deck. Then you start the mower (with the water rurnning) to clean out the buildup from under the deck bottom side.

No relationship to Toro...just a happy customer!

I go to the extreme low end of the spectrum. The last 3 push mowers I have had were Lawn Boys. Never paid more than $25 for one because I buy them at auctions. I will buy one even if I don't need another one yet. The best deal I got was $5. They auctioned 3 other Wallyworld mowers first. They would start them and then sell them for $20-$25. The Lawn Boy wouldn't start. I bought it, took it home, put gas in it, and it started on the first pull.

I like the Lawn Boy lawn mowers better than the self propelled ones I have tried. I don't know if 2 cycle is allowed in CA though.

4. Given the reason you are looking for one how about you get a used one from a yard sale?

Thanks everyone...

We decided to go with the Toro from HD. Thing was essentially already assembled, just needed to bolt on the handle, add oil and gas and we were in business.

So far, there's nothing not to like. Even got my wife out there pushing the thing!

Oh, the Toro's were on sale this weekend (10%), plus HD took off an additional 10% and gave us 1yr deferred payments for putting it on their card. Is that a gloat?

--Andy