Thread: Seeking my bandsaw's "true" identity

Seeking my bandsaw's "true" identity

Last year I bought a bandsaw from the manufacturer (OAV) in Taiwan. My wife and I had the opportunity to visit OAV's showroom to see the bandsaws they manufacture. One side of the room had many Jet bandsaws. I was told by the salesman that they make about 50% of Jet's machines.

The other side of the showroom had machines under their own name. I chose the bandsaw I wanted only to learn later that the model had been discontinued. I asked if I could purchase the showroom model and this was approved. Before delivery, the motor was switched out for a slightly more powerful one that would run on 110 volts.

I have wondered for which company this bandsaw was manufactured. When I buy a machine in Taiwan I like to find the company which sells/sold it so I can get a better manual. I haven't been able to track down the company that might have offered this model for sale either stateside or in Europe. It has several unique features, including:

1. it takes a 92 1/2 inch blade
    2. the upper guides are blocks but the lower guides are bearings
    2. it has cast iron wheels.

It seems very similar to some Grizzly models, especially with the quick release tension feature. I've included some photos. Any help identifying which company it might have been made for would be appreciated. It's a 14 inch bandsaw. It is possible that it was made for the Taiwanese market.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Perry Underwood; 05-17-2009 at 7:18 AM.

Well, I don't mean to answer my own question, but I found a photo of the top wheel of the Grizzly G0555X Extreme bandsaw.

I still don't understand why the top and bottom guides are different and why the 92 1/2 inch blade.

From Grizzly's website.
    Attached Images Attached Images

From the pictures it looks nearly identical to my Grizzly 50555X.

I would say that you found your match with the Grizz. From what I understand it is common for a lot of the import bandsaws to be cookie cutter in design with different paint and different accessories like quick tension release, guides, etc.

Thanks for responding. I've actually used a Grizzly manual from time to time to adjust my bandsaw. I guess it's not much of a mystery. One thing I don't understand is the 92 1/2 inch blade size, unless there's an adjustment somewhere that I haven't found yet. I did try to put a 93 1/2 inch blade on it but couldn't get enough tension. Seems kind of odd to need this size blade. Wilton is the only company I know of that sells a bandsaw needing a 92 1/2 inch blade.

I am also curious about the guides. Would there be any benefit to having blocks as upper guides and bearings as lower guides?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Underwood View Post
    I am also curious about the guides. Would there be any benefit to having blocks as upper guides and bearings as lower guides?
    I wonder if it was just for demo purposes, like we can supply either block or bearing guides? Here is what each looks like?

I have the GO555x and it does look ldentical. Since they make a riser block for this model, maybe your could get it and get a metal shop to clone it and just add on an extra 1/2" to its length. That would get you to the common 105" blade size.

Maybe calling Grizzly and ask if they ever get machines set for 92.5" and see if they have suggestions.

-R
    Last edited by Robby Tacheny; 05-17-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Corrected my math as shown below. Haha. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    . Since they make a riser block for this model, maybe your could get it and get a metal shop to clone it and just add on an extra 1" to its length. That would get you to the common 105" blade size.
    That would have to be an extra 1/2".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thank you to those who replied. Phil, it could have been for demo purposes. That would explain the difference in the upper and lower guides.

I know this is a very old thread but I found it doing a search for a Wilton 8201K Wood & Metal Bandsaw, which, by the way, is blue & white. Its blade is 3/8 x 0.025 x 92-1/2".

See here: http://toolsteal.com/index.php?cat_id=160&prod_id=4286

It has 7 metal speeds (39, 57, 78, 107, 142, 196, 278) and 3300SFPM for wood.

Hope this helps somebody...