Thread: Eastern Red Cedar HF

Eastern Red Cedar HF

This is the piece I had turned a few weeks ago. It was a real bear to turn. I had to change the design several times due to it cracking and splitting out on me. The guy who gave me the wood had a tornado hit is property a couple of years ago. I'm guessing it was stressed pretty bad. It's about half the size of what it started out being, diameter and height wise. Inside finish was just sanding so it will retain it's aroma. Can always go back and resand to get more aroma too. Outside is BLO then several coats of spray lacquer. I'll give this one to John, who gave me the wood. I'm not sure I'll turn anymore of it though. I cut another piece and just during the time I had it sitting on the bench it started splitting and cracking. I don't think I'll push my luck anymore

Brian,
    I am sure he will like it. Great job.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Great job on the hollow form Brian! Beautiful wood - color and grain! Cedar always wants to crack - at least that has been my experience. You did good to get this one finished without losing it! I am sure your friend will appreciate the gift! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Brian, that's great. I'm sure your friend will enjoy it. I found some cedar logs behind my shop that I had forgot about. I think they were cut about 3 years ago. I plan on turning some small bowls with them. From the sound of things I may start large and finish small.
    Thanks for posting this.
    Eugene in NC

Great looking piece and I am sure he will like it. I turn a lot of cedar here in Kansas. It will crack if you are not careful with it especially when sanding it but have turned a lot of it from ornaments to bowls with good success.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks good to me, nice job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.