Thread: PC892 Problem

PC892 Problem

Hey everyone,

I bought a used PC892 a few months ago to use in my router table and I hadn't really used it much up until a couple of weeks ago.

I've noticed a couple of things and wanted to see if anyone knew what the problem or problems are.

First, it makes an odd grinding type sound when running. It doesn't sound like my PC690 at all.

Next, I've noticed an occasional spark down by the motor openings near where the collet attaches.

Finally, I've noticed the bit occasionally takes a second to start spinning. By that I mean the motor sounds like it's going, but the bit doesn't start spinning immediately. A fraction of a second later the bit starts spinning.

Any ideas?

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Don't know how old your 892 is but but fwiw there was a recall on 890 motors.

My 8529 will make a "noise" for a second or less until it comes up to speed. I assume this is part of the soft start circuitry. Grinding noises & sparks are certainly NOT normal. I think John has a good idea--see the motor recall is in effect. I did the motor recall and so far so good, of course I had no problems with the original motor.

Quote Originally Posted by John Callahan View Post
    Don't know how old your 892 is but but fwiw there was a recall on 890 motors.
    Thanks, I'll look that up when I get home.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    My 8529 will make a "noise" for a second or less until it comes up to speed. I assume this is part of the soft start circuitry.
    Just to clarify... the strange grinding type noise is constant while the router is running. It doesn't occur only during the soft start.

And grinding probably isn't a good word to describe what I'm hearing. I'm just not sure how to better describe it. It almost sounds like it needs to be lubed.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

For your safety, I'd retire that turkey right now.

It's not part of the recall.
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker