Thread: Arlington, TX

Arlington, TX

My wife and I will be in Arlington this June. I will have a few days to myself. I noticed there is a Rockler, but never been in one though. I'm guessing like Woodcraft. Are there any other woodworking places of interest? Will be looking through the antique stores for tools. Seems to be quite a few of those. Any thoughts folks? I will have my 20 month old with me, so can't tour any large shops. Will be traveling through Ft. Worth everyday, so if there is any places there let me in on those too.

Thanks,

Jared

Jared,

I visited the Rockler there last June while in Arlington on business. Several Creekers met me there for lunch and we invaded the Rocklers there. Nice store...great people.....easy access off the interstate.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jeff, during the week, or on a weekend? Had a great visit with Ken when he came down. Even got him to leave some money in Texas.
    There is a Woodcraft in Fort Worth on I-30. If you like gardens and trains, I just saw a piece on the news yesterday about a place just west of Weatherford close to a town named Cool. Clark gardens. Open year round. Have a place with model trains running through the gardens. Also the botanical gardens just off I-30 at University Dr, and the Water Gardens in downtown Ft. Worth.
    You could see if the Tarantula train still runs from South Fort Worth to the Stockyards and back. That was a neat little 2 hour excursion. There are a couple places to buy wood, but that might not be what you are after. There is a sawmill north about an hour or so off I-35 (Sanger, TX) that has a retail showroom where local artisans sell things. I haven't been there yet, but sounds like a neat place. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I will be there during the week. My wife is going to be at the Convention Center, so I don't think I will drive all the way back to Ft. Worth. I did notice on a search that there was a hardwood dealer in Arlington, can't remember the name right now. I may have to buy a small piece that I can stow away in the car. I will have to hit up the Rockler. I need to get a combination waterstone.

If you are in Arlington you can go to Woodcraft in Fort Worth and Rockler in one afternoon with no problem.

Woodcraft is straight west of Arlington about a 15 or 20 min. drive. Rockler is about the same only its south and east.

The closest hardwood dealer is Brazos Forest Products

Address: 2760 N Great SW Parkway

Grand Prairie, TX 75053
    Phone: 800-772-2777

Phone: (972) 602-1225
    Fax: (972) 602-0224
    E-Mail: bobby.walden@brazosfp.com
    Web Address: www.brazosfp.com

If you're into antique tools and have time, you might want to check out this place in Dallas:
    http://www.dowdstools.com/

I've never been there myself, (Dowd's, that is, though I try to avoid Dallas at all costs), but somehow got on their email list.

I would like to go to Dowd's, but I think they are all the way on the east side of Dallas, in Garland. Maybe I can work it out. My sister lives in Garland. I forgot about Dowd's thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Minor View Post
    I would like to go to Dowd's, but I think they are all the way on the east side of Dallas, in Garland. Maybe I can work it out. My sister lives in Garland. I forgot about Dowd's thanks!
    I've purchased a number of things from Dowd's and have been happy. Do note though that Dowd's isn't a typical brick-and-mortar type of establishment. If you want to check out what's there, give them a call first.

Thanks for the tip on that.