Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could buy one LN?????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Scoma View Post
    I now have a full set of stanleys minus No's 1 and 2 as well as a record 4 1/2, woodriver #3 and a couple of block planes, Stanley No 65 and an old Millers falls. I want to buy at least one LN plane in the near future but am unsure of which to get. I'm leaning toward the LA jack or smoother. I now use a stan #6 for shooting which is leaving me with something to be desired. I'm thinking the LA jack would be a nice addition to the fleet and not replace anything I currently own. Most of the work I do is general furnituremaking. I find that I use all my stanleys equally so there is not one favorite that stands out.

What do you guys who own the LA jack or smoother think of it???

PS
    Not being an owner of an LA jack or smoother, my reply will be to ask if you have all the other planes one might find useful for general furniture making?

Have you considered a pair of side rabbets?
    Shoulder planes?
    A rabbet block plane has often caught my eye.
    Then there is the multi planes like the Stanley 45 or the 55.

Have you ever found yourself thinking that a particular plane might come in handy at any time?

How will an LA be more helpful than a scraper plane?

Sometimes, the best way to answer a question is to ask a few more.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Scoma View Post
    Hmm Interesting comments on the miter plane, an option I hadn't considered. I'm going to take a look at what woodcraft has in stock on thursday and then mull it over a bit more. I'm getting married on saturday followed by a 2 week honeymoon so that'll be plenty of time to make a final decision, or if our guests are generous, buy both! Too bad LN doesnt do a registry.

Thanks for all the input everyone,
    Peter
    The guy is getting married on Saturday and all he is interested in on his honeymoon is what hand plane to buy.
    A true woodworker.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Look on the LN website and see if they have a hand tool event near you coming up. At these events you can try any of their line up and get some advice. I have the low angle jack and it's great -- but so is the 5 1/2!

I have the LN LA Jack and really do like it and use it quite a bit. I'd definitely buy it again. But the plane that I seem to have in my hands the most is the LA Block. It's just so handy for so many things. The next purchase I'd make would be a #7. I don't use it as often as the LA Jack, but since I don't have a powered jointer (and I don't have any plans to buy one) the #7 is indispensable for me.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Sean, that is a beautiful cabinet. Is that an original? I would love to create one of those about twice the size.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

I'd recommend the low-angle jack plane if I could buy only one.

In The Handplane Book, I believe the author recommends that one as well. Really an incredible plane.

I own the low-angle, adjustable mouth block plane, the #4, the low-angle jack, and the jointer. All great planes, but the low-angle jack is probably the most versatile.

But of course you'll end up buying more than one.

Ah, Rick, you are very kind. I made this cabinet a few months back because I needed something to practice installing a brusso bullet catch on before trying it on a "real" project. Most of the wood is rescued from the scrap pile and has wierd grain, worm holes, and all sorts of "character." In short, this was sort of a quick and dirty test bed thing, but I always need more storage space in the shop as those planes just multiple like rabbits! Along with the catch, I also tried out a new method of making sliding dovetails for the shelves. All in all, I'm pleased with it, as it has a hand tool - seat of the pants - panache. ;-)

L-N Miter Plane #9

I also recommend the L-N #9 miter plane, which is designed after the Stanley #9 which is very hard to find. I used one during a dovetail class, I was taking from Bill Anderson in Chapel Hill, NC, for shooting the edges and it was fantastic. The optional "hotdog" handle was extremely comfortable.

I think that it would be a good choice because it's based on a Stanley style thar's hard to find and expensive if you do.

Good Luck