Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase Perfect..

Phase Perfect..

Anyone here using a Phase Perfect Digital Phase converter?

http://www.phaseperfect.com/products.htm

I have been reading about them, and spoke to them on the phone today..

They sound fantastic.

They gave me some names of some users.. one is actually in the same little town as me..

Its basically a 120lb blue box which draws 100 watts.. it makes the sound of a fan running.. From a 60-70 amp 220V PH1 breaker.. it will actually run a 10HP PH3 motor..

It takes 8 seconds to "power up" when turned on, and even when running at full capacity, it doesnt drop voltage.. less than 1%. Compare that to a Rotary, making a racket .. using up about 8 amps on its own and dropping up to 25 volts when maxed out..

It sounds "perfect".... The only downside is that they are expensive .. lol..

Thanks for the link Rick. I will check it out to see if it is whole shop or machine dedicated.

Ok, I read the site, seems that it can just be wired in to the system to provide power for all machines. What is expensive? My Roto-Phase was $2300.

Like I discussed in the other post I really want to have a three phase system I do not have to switch on. This sound like it is very promising.

Thanks again, Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 05-19-2009 at 7:04 AM.

A lot of Felder guys like 'em. And they are cheaper to run.

FYI, I bought mine from CNCPROS.NET - it was cheaper than getting it directly from PhasePerfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    FYI, I bought mine from CNCPROS.NET - it was cheaper than getting it directly from PhasePerfect.
    Rob, I thought you were making a converter?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Rob, I thought you were making a converter?
    I was - but I made it so complicated that it turned out to be easier to buy a PP.

See this SMC post.

ok. Question. My Key RPC, rated @ 10HP, starts my 10HP motor, and at the same time, runs my 5.5hp dust collector and my 3hp edge sander. This is the nature of my RPC - can start 10, but can run 30 total.

Does a PP work in a similar way? Or, for my case, would I need a 18.5 (or 20) HP unit?

The PP is sized based on the total continuous load running, so you'd want at least the 20HP model.

Rick,

I love my PP 10hp unit. You are exactly right, the sound when running is a very low hum and when the cooling fans kick on it's a little louder but
    still ok you won't need any protection it's not very loud. Never had a problem with mine and I am using it on a 6.6 3phase motor and a 10 hp 3 phase motor but not at the same time. They are trouble free and easy to hook up.

Good luck,
    Rye Crane
    Pittsburg, CA.

Rye,
    I lived up the street from you a few years ago in run down Antioch. I left there around 8 years ago, went back last July for a visit and found that it sure has grown in the area between Pittsburg and Antioch.
    Wish the phase converters were as available when I had a bunch of 3 phase motors. I took all of them to the Pittsburg dump, didn't have any use for them at the time.
    David B

Well, I purchased the DPC-10 today..

My Dust collector is single phase and I work alone. This machine can sit idle, on call so to speak..

It draws 100 Watts when sitting waiting.

So I can make a small 50 amp panel, put a couple breakers in it and run my 3 phase stuff with no hassle.

I only have a 3 phase jointer so far, but am looking at a 24" Wide belt which has a 9hp 3PH motor.

As long as I dont leave the Jointer running.. lol.

Larry, they make a 30hp model and larger. What sold me was the simplicity and the ability to just let it run when I am in the shop. Apparently it takes 8 seconds for the machine to be ready to use, once energized.

$$$$$$$$$?

At the 11th hour, I upgrade to a 20hp ..

The 20hp is a new model and has filtering for sumthin or other..

It will create 64 amps of 220V PH3 power..

I can still just plug it into a 30 amp receptical and get 16 amps of PH3 power.. but I plan on selling the house and building again, with a proper shop.. With a 120 amp supply, it will run anything I would ever want.

The machine is $4600 USD.

The beauty of this machine is its silent and doesnt mind waiting.. ( I feel a joke about my wife coming on.. )

Anyhow.. you can turn it on in the morning and turn it off at night.. or not.. doesnt matter. It draws 250 watts when waiting.

With this machine, I can eventually run it to a panel of its own ( I think) and create a whole different set of plugs in the shop.

That "silent and doesnt mind waiting" joke is just itchin to get out.. so I have to go.

That is a little too much money for now as I already have a 50 hp rotary, but I am watching this technology, and I expect it will come down.

What you all may want to think about is what this is going to do to old machinery pricing when VFD's and this kind of thing become cheaper. They will not be so cheap I would expect when for a few hundred or less you can run them off of your house current. Buy up that old iron now.....

On the other hand my rotary converter will not be worth squat when these are cheaper, so now I am conflicted?????????

Silent? Waiting?...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    At the 11th hour, I upgrade to a 20hp ..

The machine is $4600 USD.

The beauty of this machine is its silent and doesnt mind waiting.. ( I feel a joke about my wife coming on.. )
    I DON'T GET IT! $4600 is not SILENT!! And, I will be WAITING a loooooong time before I invest that sort of cash in a *handy-dandy-new-silent* 20hp phase converter.

I suppose some folks have more spendable cash than they have time to walk over and flip a breaker! But, I even solved that problem for less than $100 with my own RPC, by conjuring up a magnetic motor starter energized by a Long Ranger remote.

As for the *noise*, who can hear an RPC running above the din of a 5hp shaper and 3hp DC??? Maybe I'm weird, but, I don't leave my RPC running all day! When finished with an operation, I just push that *handy-dandy-silent-remote-OFF button*!!

I hope the PhasePerfect DOES drive down the cost of RPCs everywhere! Then I can get a *real bargain* on a larger Arco Roto-Phase!! My 5hp Model A cost me only $165 at a country auction, years ago! Mebe I can get a 20hp for that same price!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 05-29-2009 at 8:34 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!