Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rob Cosman Dovetail Saw - Sweeeet!!!

Apologize for the error, Rob Lee, regarding the plastic handle. Should have looked again before I barked. Should have emphasized it was a personal opinion. Truth be told, I have more Veritas Lee Valley hand tools than others, and for good reason - quality, fit, and finish. You make some excellent points, too. Thanks for replying.
    (But I'm still going to get myself a big ole Wenzloff saw one of these days! Come on, Mike, get caught up!)

A very interesting string of posts.

I think it was about 10 years ago I took a DT class with Rob back at Sheridan College in Oakville Ont, maybe one of his first classes ever. I took two more since then and I can say yes Rob is an amazing master with a DT saw. Who can even imagine the number he has cut and done so all in public, how many of us would dare do that!!

Now Rob, I bought that LN DT saw back at that class, now that I feel comfortable with it I am not likely to change.

I am on side with time and pricing, I have a good friend locally who also makes hand saws and he puts his heart and soul into each one, so I know the value.

I know if Rob put his name on this saw it is worth the investment, a tool for life is the way I choose mine, My LN is that at this point..

Best of Luck with this adventure Rob..

Take care,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Camillo View Post

(snip)

Thanks for replying.
    (But I'm still going to get myself a big ole Wenzloff saw one of these days! Come on, Mike, get caught up!)
    Hi Jack -

No worries - just gives me the opportunity to jump into the thread...

Do buy one (or more!) of Mike's saws... he's a good guy, and deserves the support...

Cheers -

Rob

Hello Rob,

Nice looking and interesting saw! I don't post here very often at all but this thread looked interesting since it involved a saw with a little bit of a new twist to it. You talked about never seeing the small teeth up front before but here's a picture of a high end Disston No.77 no-set saw from a 1914 catalog. I know these are shown as cross cut configuration but I'm sure they could be filed in a rip configuration also. I realize the ppi is coarser on these but the principle is the same.

I filed one quite a few years ago in this configuration and it works quite well. It's easier to start but aggressive once the cut gets started and you get back into the 8ppi part. I'm assuming yours will have the same results the way it sounds. It's filed as Disston suggested with a 45 degree fleam which makes for a smooth cut. The file handle end had to be dropped (slopping gullets) to keep the tooth geometry right.

I've always enjoyed the etch on the saw "For Mechanics Not Botches" I've also seen "For Mechanics Not Botchers". I'm sure Disston was insinuating these weren't meant for everyday carpenters (mechanics).

The blade on the No.77 is taper ground. I'm waiting for someone to reproduce these. If I was still in the model shop, where I had access to the right equipment, I would be trying it. I can't see it as price prohibitive as the price on some of these custom saws seems to be on the rise, just my thoughts.

Good luck & I hope your saw venture turns out great for you!

Take care,
    Daryl

Rob,

I'm waiting for that royalty check from Rob regarding that plastic saw handle!

I'm thrilled to see this new saw. I love the finger grips (like a pistol). Too bad it's not available in black. I think your saw would look better in black too. I'd like to paint it but I don't want to change it so I may make my own handle. (gotta figure ou how to drill that hole. Love to see rubber on there too. I'm wondering of I can get something from Smith and Wesson and slip it on there.

I gotta tell you I really like your DT. It's shockingly comfortable. My guess is you guys put a lot of effort into coming up with a saw that lots of folks will find useful. It does a fine job for dts and can do tenons and other joints in a pinch. I've even cross cut with it.... I think for folks who only want or can afford one saw, the LV is the one to have.

Even though he's Canadian, and he teases me about my clothes, I think Rob Cosman is neat. He's done a lot for the craft.

And Rob- please send me an email. I need some parts and I'm hoping you can help.

Adam

I really don't have much to add to this discussion other than to remark about how awesome it is to have a forum where you can have posts from Rob Lee and Rob Cosman in the same thread. Add in Tom Lie Nielsen, Mike Wenzloff and Joel (the later two who post here) and we have the space about covered.

However, I actually don't want to see a post from Mike just yet as I would prefer that he make saws and get caught up so I can order some friends for my dt saw.

Daryl - I also have one of those Disston #77s. They are quite sought after by collectors, as they're uncommon. One interesting thing about them is that they are very hard - I've been told that attempting to set the saw will remove teeth (not that I've tried).

I read something like that obout a rip saw from Disston, I think it's the #120, no set and made to be use on seasoned wood! But I'm not sure if it is the 120 or an other!

Hello to both Davids,

I guess I could be considered a collector and restorer of old hand saws. Either the No.77 back saw or the Disston Acme 120 are harder and the teeth can be broken if setting is attempted. I've refurbished a few of these and most that I have found at estate auctions have had broken teeth by people trying to set them. It required filing all new teeth in which are shaped quite differently on the cross cuts than the regular 60 degree profile teeth. The rips are filed differently but not quite as drastic as the cross cuts. You can take a look here: http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...tonAcme120.htm

They are meant to be used on dry seasoned lumber only and were aimed at cabinet makers and finish carpenters for the most part. Disston made a the Acme 120 in both rip and crosscut profiles. Here's a pic of one of my rips and a older crosscut panel saw with patent dates in the handle.

Take care,
    Daryl

Daryl - Nice saws, and good of you to post the procedure you use to re-shape the teeth. I'm not entirely sure I understand the use of all of the bevel gauges, nor the use of what looks like flat files (rather than triangular ones), but the results speak for themselves, particular the clean cross-cut in red oak. I don't think I've ever seen such a smooth end-grain shot outside of a WoodWorker II on a table saw.

I may have to sharpen up my #77 and see what it does!

11. I met Rob several years ago at a local wood show and was immediately captivated at his ability to create these joints with all these eyes peering at him. That day he needed a guinea pig to show how quickly a dovetail saw could cut and he turned around and asked me, my hands trembled as I grabbed his saw and attempted. I walked away amazed at how easy he made it look. As time passed I grew to know him better and bought several tools from him. Last year I was finally able to take one of his courses and get some hands on advice. I was amazed by his dedication to teaching the craft. If you had energy to stay longer than so would he. On a couple of nights we worked well past 11pm after starting at 7am, never once complained. Through the five days his ability to break down complex joints and teach the construction was extraordinary. I have been practicing the craft the last few years and amazed at how quickly his techniques improve your skill.

I can't wait to get my hands on his new saw. Even though I love my blackwood handled LN saw I can only imagine what kind of product he can produce with his experience and skill.

Thank you Mr. Cosman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, David!! Those are some nice dovetails, and a very nice chest. That is deserving on its own project post.

You will love the Cosman saw - get your order in quickly, as I think Rob will be hard pressed to keep up with the demand.

Available in Atlanta

If you are looking for one call up the Atlanta Woodcraft. I saw 5 of them on the self the other day. I think they are willing to ship. Ask for Steve. He is the owner (very nice guy).
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

"I can't wait to get my hands on his new saw. Even though I love my blackwood handled LN saw I can only imagine what kind of product he can produce with his experience and skill."
    David - I may be telling you something you don't want to know, but exotic-wood handled Lie-Nielsen saws are real collector's items. I saw a L-N dovetail saw with a Macassar Ebony handle go for $340 on e-bay a couple of weeks ago. Even the "standard" optional cocobolo handled saws go for quite a bit more than a new one does, and more than one with a cocobolo handle did when the option was offered.

So if it comes down to not wanting lots of saws, you can sell your blackwood (african blackwood?) dt saw for enough to pay for one of the low-production saws from a maker like Rob or Andrew Lunn.

15. Not sure how this thread works but someone posted some comments on my post but I can't find them once I log in. Anyway, hopefully it makes it's way.

I have no interest in selling my blackwood LN saw but I do have three Wenzloff ebony handled saws that I would be willing to part with. One is a dovetail saw, the other two are Seaton panel saws in rip and crosscut and again in ebony.

I just found out my bone handled dovetail saw will be in the mail on Monday. I look forward to trying it out.