Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Won't Hold Water--Hard maple

Pride is what makes us post pictures

Gary, I love the wood and the inclusions and the size of the piece. I will agree that the background of your pics could be a little more friendly to the piece. With the high gloss the flash really makes a glare too. But no matter what anyone says when you are happy with the outcome of your labors it is an accomplishment. By one person saying he is a "PROFESSIONAL" turner what does this mean? He is the best of the best and won't let us look at his work to compare it to anything we share on SMC. I think if you dish out tactless, nearing cruel critques then you should put there money where there mouth is! We are a big happy family of beginners, intermediates, semi-pro and professional turners, we don't mind honesty just use some tact in your responses.

That all being said, Gary keep up the good work and never let the naysayers knock you down! It take a proud person to post the pictures and a big man to admit his faults and failures.

Everyone knows who they are,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

In My experience it is appreciated to be critiqued, it is annoying to be snubbed by an arrogant judgemental bleep. There are ways to be honest and give your actual opinion while showing a little class. Remember, many on here are beginners to intermediate, they critique from their perspective of experience. Some of us are woodworkers with no photography experience......no need to condemn. Have a great day.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

My last post for the week----we are headed out the door for a show----Yup I do this for a living.
    Personally---I figure you get out of life just what you put into it-----
    --- that doesn't leave much for freeloaders.
    Thanks everyone and have a great week.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

And all the compassionate people said, amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    By one person saying he is a "PROFESSIONAL" turner what does this mean? He is the best of the best and won't let us look at his work to compare it to anything we share on SMC. I think if you dish out tactless, nearing cruel critques then you should put there money where there mouth is! We are a big happy family of beginners, intermediates, semi-pro and professional turners, we don't mind honesty just use some tact in your responses.
    I'm not even close to the best of the best, and I've seen work here on SMC that is among the best of the best. For all I know, Gary may sell more work than I do. I gave my reasons for not posting pictures. Sorry, but it's a policy that has worked for me for a number of years. I apologized earlier for my critique, and I'll apologize now for not sugar-coating it a bit. You do realize I was primarily critiquing the photo, don't you? I don't recall saying anything negative about the woodturning itself other than the fact that it didn't do much for me, and I even offered a possible reason why it didn't. I even wished, and still wish, Gary good luck at the show.

@Alex, good point. I hadn't made that connection.

wow that is Stunning!!

Gary,
    That is truly a work of art. I hope you get compensated well for it at the show.

The whole "ultra thin vs. not ultra thin" thing is subjective. Truth is, it's a bit hard to ascertain the exact thickness just from the photos; however what is obvious is that the thickness reflects great skill.

And I continue to be amazed at people whose noses run the constant risk of being hacked off by a passing 747.

Won't hold water..............Well DUH! Looks like you went to a Star Trek convention and used it to deflect phaser beams!

Gary, very nice piece, gives me some inspiration to improve my skills.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fricke View Post
    There are ways to be honest and give your actual opinion while showing a little class.
    Exactly John. Well said. Whats that Mama always said, if you dont have anything nice to say...........................

Applies here for sure.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.