Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't Hold Water--Hard maple

Won't Hold Water--Hard maple

We are headed out to a show but I wanted to share a pic of this one.
    She's Hard maple and will Not hold water----it is part of my newest ultra thin series.
    Hope you enjoy----maybe it will sell this weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Love the colouration

Gary, I love the colour, it is nice and rich.

Oneday soon, I want to turn like that.

Great looking hollow form Gary! Beautiful wood! Love the inclusions and you did an outstanding job getting the piece as thin as you did! Hope it sells quickly and for big bucks!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve ---trust me if it sells it will be for big bucks.

That's really cool looking. Something like that is on my "some day I'll be able to do that" list. Good luck at the show.

We are just about at the point where building furniture is a thing of the past---except maybe turning foot and Headboards---I really like those.
    I would love to do nothing but turn bowls but that's going to be a real big step for us. Woodworking is our only source of income so I hate cutting back on anything.

Gary that is a beautiful piece out of some beautiful wood. That should go easily.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good luck at the show. Personally, this piece doesn't do much for me, but that might just be the pics. I can't see the form - other than it's round - and plaid is really not an optimal photo background. Pretty wood, though. And "ultra" thin? Please. Start approaching Bin Pho's work, then we can talk "ultra" thin.

Well Don why don't you just jump in and show us some of your work----oh for $6.00 you could become a "Contributor"

Very nice work. Love the grain

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    Well Don why don't you just jump in and show us some of your work----oh for $6.00 you could become a "Contributor"
    I'm a professional turner who prefers not to show my work on the Internet. I have some designs and techniques I consider proprietary. I don't even tell my customers how it's done.

My apologies for offering a critique. I see now that you didn't ask for one in your original post. I'm sure this piece will sell and you'll have a happy customer, but I generally call a spade a spade. Ultra thin it ain't, and the photos don't show the piece off as well as it could be. You have good reason to be proud of this challenging piece, but I don't automatically jump on the "attaboy" bandwagon like a lot of others do.

Oh, and for $0.00 I can be a "Member".

Gary, this is one nice piece, it should do well I would think. I love the overall shape and the inclusions really make it stand out. You did an excellent job getting it thin and Im glad you're not afraid to spend $6 or show your work on the internet!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Gary, that is a really cool piece of work. I am sure you are proud of it as you should be. Thanks for posting it. You and your work provide inspiration to people like me who are just trying to learn the art of turning wood and having a good time doing it.
    Eugene in NC

Nice work Gary. It is something to be proud of.
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Great job on keeping all the bark, I always have trouble with that. It's a good looking piece.

@Don, Gary Said "my newest ultra thin series" keyword MY as pertaining to his work, if most of his work is 1 inch thick than this is HIS thin work. Thin is obviously a relative term. If you look at his website you'll notice a lot of his work is quite thick and thus this is his "ultra thin series".

Alex