Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about wood prices

Question about wood prices

I bought some wood from a local dealer, and since I'm relatively new at this, I'd like to get some feedback on the prices I paid:

10.25 BF of 8/4 Maple @$6.95/BF = $71.24
    7.75 BF of 4/4 poplar @ $2.99/BF = $23.17

Both pieces are S2S

This particular dealer is very conveniently located & has a fairly decent selection, but I haven't really bought enough wood from any source at this point to have a good feel for prices. Any comments?

TIA

Dan

On the East coast, that'd be fairly expensive. In Seattle, not so much. The maple might've been locally grown, but I'm pretty sure the poplar was transported from the SouthEast, and freight's expensive.

You will quickly find, however, that it pays to get a planer and a jointer, or a couple of handplanes to do the surfacing yourself. Not only can rough lumber be purchased less expensively, but S2S often continues to move after it's surfaced to the point where it has to be re-surfaced to be usable in the shop, so you're paying for something that doesn't help you.

Wood prices vary so much in different parts of the country that it's hard for anyone outside of your area to give an accurate answer. This is especially true for domestic woods. That would be a great price for maple here in Az, but might not be in Seattle. I never pay more than $5/BF for mesquite as it is plentiful here, but $10/BF would be a good price elsewhere.

$3 / bf for s2s poplar seems a little high. Would be high for my area (I buy wood in Houston)

Todd

Blog Entries
    That's about right for SoCal.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Both prices are a bit high for the North East, but both species are indeginious and fairly plentiful, so its hard t say. I'm paying about $2.20 for 4/4 poplar, and around $5.30 for 8/4 hard maple. So in any event your not out of the ball park with those numbers, just a bit high by my local standards in CT.

Thanks for the replies. The guy's practically right around the corner from me, while other sources (that I know of) are about a 50 mile drive, in total.

If anyone happens to be in the Seattle area (especially north/Everett) and knows of other sources, please pass them on.

Dan

I just called my lumber supplier to get real prices.

They don't stock s2s poplar any more, but they can mill it. For milling < 200 bf, it's $1.39/bf out the door.

s2s 8/4 hard maple is $3.99 and soft maple is 3.29 (and they don't stock it either in s2s, so that's the < 200 /bf price per foot) They carry rough, and it's 10 cents / bf cheaper - both flavors.

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 05-20-2009 at 2:42 PM. Reason: typo

Dan, in the Toronto area I pay $6 for 8/4 maple and $2.82 for poplar, rough not S2S. (All figures Canadian).

In the Seattle area both species are probably imported..Rod.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Buying wood is not the kind of thing you want to be price motivated. Whatever the average going price in your area is, it is. You either buy it or you dont based on quality. Most good hardwood suppliers in a given area are within a few cents of eachother.
    It would be beneficial to travel up to 50 miles or son in your area and get aquainted with the hardwood suppliers and their quality. Most hardwood suppliers will deliver for free or a small fee if you meet a minimal order usually $300 to $500. It doesnt take much to spend $300 on hardwood.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Its a good day to be a woodworker on the East coast!!
    Maple $2.10
    Poplar $.45-1.50 depending on color, grade, width etc.
    Cherry $2.50-4.00 about the same for walnut too I would say.

This is all from my local supplier and its NOT junk either. Im talking good FAS, Clr & Btr and #1.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mitchell View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The guy's practically right around the corner from me, while other sources (that I know of) are about a 50 mile drive, in total.

If anyone happens to be in the Seattle area (especially north/Everett) and knows of other sources, please pass them on.

Dan
    Dan,
    Are you using Martin Lumber in Everett, or some other vendor? I have used Martin quite a bit and they have a pretty wide selection, but often their quantities are limited and I feel their prices are a little high (OK, on some stuff, a lot high). They are convenient and good people to deal with, though, and their plywood is a lot better than Borg plywood, and reasonably priced, too. (Another good supplier for plywood is Midway Plywood on Highway 99/Evergreen Way south, between Everett and Lynnwood.

I get most of my hardwood in Seattle now, usually at Crosscut Hardwood on 1st Avenue South. I usually deal with Craig. Crosscut is in an old warehouse building that's probably over 100 years old, and they have a huge selection of rough and sanded hardwood. They provide carts and let you sort through the wood. Well worth the drive for me.

Dave - It was Midway, I'm not familiar with Martin Lumber, have to check them out, thanks for the tip!

I have been to Crosscut a time or 2, yes a HUGE selection. It's just that they're a bit of a drive. There's another place in that general area whose name escapes me, smaller, and much less friendly, at least the one time I was in there. Do you happen to know who I mean?

BTW, have you ever used this equipment dealer in Auburn http://equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/index.cfm ?

Thanks for the reply.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Mitchell; 05-20-2009 at 7:40 PM.

I go to Edensaw Woods in Kent, WA (near IKEA) for my wood. They have a large selection of lumber, plus a lot of specialty woods, like countertop hardwoods for bars, burls, and slabs from entire logs so you can get matching grain.

They're also located in a warehouse and close to Harbor Freight.

I live in Auburn but haven't tried the equipment surplus dealer. I looked up the address and found that I live about a mile from them and drive right past them on my commute, so I'll check them out sometime.
    Last edited by Greg Magone; 05-21-2009 at 12:59 AM.

I think you should look at the stock and decide if its worth it..

I am in the business and can tell you that you can get hardwood for almost any price you want.

I purchased a bunch of 8/4 Red oak for about $6.00 a month ago.. absolutely beautiful stock.. Its in my shop.. (and dust collector)

We sell 4/4 oak for $2.99 retail as well... I dont buy it..