Thread: My very first project

My very first project

After almost two years of getting my shop built and previous years of buying tools for the shop I have finally built my first project. A humongous toy box.

After being diagnosed with bladdar cancer 2 years ago I promised my Urologist I'd built his new baby boy a toy box if he cured my problem.

He kept his promise and so have I. Unfortunately he's getting out of the Navy and setting up his practice in New York, so I'm scrambling trying to get in touch before he leaves this week so we can ship it.

I set it up so he can finish the assembly up there.

Sorry I don't have the pictures to post but they are on my Picasa Web site.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/AspiringWoodworker/ToyBox#

Please be gentle.

Louis

Neat project Louis! What is the deal with the tape? Looks like it is all "knock down" and really stores well - good design!

Good looking chest. What about the bottom, is it realy what I se, OSB?
    I think I woud of choose something else ! the you built it, so it pack flat, is a good idea.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Great chest. The only negative I can say is that you will have to travel far and wide to visit it, but then again, many men have done just that for their first piece.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Since Dr "D" is going to glue it I had to make it "Sailor proof" for him. It's there to prevent any squeeze out from harming the wood if he decides to finish it later.

I was running out of time and had to do something quickly. I also added two runners on the bottom to support the weight of whatever gets stored inside. So it will never sag.

Louis - Looks quite nice, particularly for a first project. Most of us cut our teeth on something considerably easier, like bookshelves.

People will likely tire of me making this comment, but because this is a toy box, consider adding a soft-close lid support. Lee Valley retails an excellent one that's hydraulic-based and doesn't have springs to catch a little one's fingers:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...96&cat=3,41427

Smile

My local Woodcraft ran out of them and it should arrive this Friday. I'll have it installed before I ship it next week.
    I consulted the ultimate authority on child safety, my wife. Mother and Grandmother . that says it all

As for book shelves, my son want me to build one for his comupter room to cover the whole wall. For me, this was easier
    Last edited by Louis Rucci; 05-20-2009 at 6:10 PM.

Looks good. Plus I like the reliefs on the sides and fronts for handholds, and also air holes. I always think it is important to remember that some little kid will climb in the toybox and close the top - so we toybox makers must always remember to make them non-airtight.

Nice job on that rather large toybox, Louiis.

Sarge..