Thread: Shallow European hinge?

Shallow European hinge?

Hello, everyone.

I've finally finished a pair of kitchen cabinets to augment our current cabinets and I need a couple of hinges for one of them. I'd use a standard European hinge, but the door has flutes that likely don't leave enough thickness for the hinge cup. Can anyone recommend a hinge for this problem? Are there European hinges with shallow cups? I'd like to avoid using regular semi-concealed hinges for aesthetic reasons.

And naturally, pictures of the completed cabinets are forthcoming once I get these hinges on

Zayd

Many of the Blum cup hinges which want a cup depth of 11 mm, or 7/16". Is that shallow enough to escape the flutes?

There are also these hinges -- http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Gr...Mount%20Hinges . They appear to do nearly the same thing as cup hinges.

Here's a tip.. Make the cup hole with a plunge router and a template. You get a hole with a flat bottom, and no worries about a drill's spur making a deeper hole.

I had this same issue when I completed all of the kitchen cabinets in my recent kitchen remodel -- I made the doors slightly thicker than 5/8, but the groove routed on the outside of the door did not allow for a full 1/2" depth for the cup. As Jamie stated, BLUM has some that are slightly shallower than several brands on the market and I also found some hinges at HD made by Liberty that worked well (and what I ultimately ended up using). You can find Forstner bits with a shallow center spur (Woordcraft sells a carbide tipped one that worked well for me) or you can buy a cheaper forstner bit and file the center spur off (it helps center the hole but will work fine without it).
    Scot

Can't remember where or who, but there are some euro hinges out there that take a 3/8" deep hole instead of the usual 1/2"

http://www.woodcentric.com/product.aspx?CatId=1192

http://www.woodcentric.com/ProductDe...63&link_type=0

Good evening, folks.

I appreciate the feedback. I thought I'd share an update.

I did some searching around and the shallowest hinge cup I could find was 7/16", which technically would work, but it's cutting it close (flutes are 1/4" in a 3/4" door). If I could find 3/8" cups, I'd give it a whirl.

I ended up picking up the HD hinges Scot and Jamie recommended. Certainly not the easy adjustability that Euro hinges offer, but it seems they'll do the job and without the nervous anticipation of poking a hole through my door

I'm hanging the cabinets this weekend as well as tiling the backsplash, so I'll certainly post pictures when it's done. This is my first WW project and I'd love to get feedback.

Thanks again.

Zayd