Thread: band saw options

band saw options

Ok got about 125 bucks to spend tomorrow on a band saw.

Going to use it to cut, blanks down to size, maybe cut some green wood, small 4" maybe dia logs down to rough cut to blank size, and to use for cutting segmented blanks one.

I can get a Black and Decker 9" ( http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/...71&h=050102003 ) for litle over 100 bucks. Any thoughts on the this one?

Or this one for 114 http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-01&lpage=none

I just purchased (this week) a 12" Craftsman from Craigslist for $65.00.

If you haven't considered the small grizzly bandsaw, and you can wait to have it shipped, I would highly recommend checking it out. I have a friend who has one and it is a nice little saw. Much heavier and better built than the small bandsaws I've seen in the big box stores.

I've been watching CL for one, the only ones that have come up around here are so beat up looking, i am afraid to even look at them..

The grizzly would be nice, but its about triple my budget at the moment..

I would save my money and wait for a bigger or better saw then waste it on those junk saws.

I would tend to agree with Simon..... save up for something that will do what you need it to. I have a 9" tradesman that I'm not sure is worth the $20 I paid for it at a yard sale. It has really similar specs to both the ones you're looking at.

If you live anywhere near southern Az, you're more than welcome to have it for free.
    Last edited by Jason Hallowell; 05-20-2009 at 5:01 AM.

I really like my Shopsmith Bandsaw and that's about what i paid for it...of course you need a Smith or a power station to mount it on.

All I can say is that the only thing worse than no bandsaw is a crappy bandsaw. Given a choice, I'd much rather cut stuff out with a decent C frame by hand than struggling to follow my lines with a junky bandsaw.

I'm not passing judgement on any of the saws listed. Just be sure it's reasonably good quality, or the store you buy it from has a great return policy.