Thread: Spray guns and Turbines

Spray guns and Turbines

I have been looking for a spray gun for water finishes.

I thought I had a Razor Stainless gun nailed down but the seller got hinkey and fled. Prolly 'cause it was stolen and when he saw the Esq in my e-mail address he freaked out.

I was surfing an auto restoration and hot rod forum where a discussion about a particular old style SATA was underway and one fellow opined that he found his Harbor Freight 43430 was as good as any gun he'd used.

Yah, a recommendation is worth about what you paid for it especially from strangers on the internet. For all I know the guy's only other spray gun experience was a Gunnite concrete spray gun.

But still, it cost me nothing to look at the Picture on the HF site.
    While there, I observed they had a whole turbine HVLP set up Item 66297-8VGA.

Any one used this unit or the 43430 gun ?

Cliff

That Gunnite sure gives you a tough finish though.

Jerry

I bought the Harbor Freight 44677 today on sale for 74.99. Same system that Rockler sells - has many good reviews. Will be using it for stain and pre-cat lacquer for a vanity.

I would be very interested in the comments from a user of the HF turbine rig. I am trying to decide between it and the Wagner conversion gun.

Thanks
    Bill

Bill, will give you an update after use.

Howard

Harbour Freight has 2 styles of HVLP turbines. 44677 is similar to the Rockler, also looks the same as the one sold by Princess Auto in Canada. The other 66297 is the one Cliff is asking about for $112. 66297 looks interesting and a step up from the Rockler/Princess Auto/Wagner.

Actually the best type gun to spray almost any woodworker's finish is an Air Assisted Airless Spray rig. e.g. Graco ProFinsh 395. I bought one about 2 months ago and IMHO there is not an HVLP that will touch it. Just the gun alone is $900 +/- so it's not for the weekend worrier. Sherwin Williams Paint Stores sell the rig for ~$3400.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I like the Porter Cable PSH1 once I learned to use it. To do that, I had to learn what HVLP guns spray like and ended up buying a a Wagner Gun after reading Jim Becker's review. I ended up selling the Wagner after learning because I tended to gravitate toward the top-cup PSH1 more mostly because its easier to clean non-WB products (like oil-base paint I use on metalworking projects) especially since I have disposable cups from Harbor Freight.

The older 43430s are identical to the PSH1s. The newer 43430s have a different casting. I've never used the newer one so I can't say if they work the same. The Wood River gun at Woodcraft looks the same as the 43430 and has readily availble tip sets.

If a turbine is what you're looking for, the Earlex unit seems to get good review too. Bigger units show up from time to time on Craigslist around here. Most look pretty well abused. Maybe its just me, but I clean my gun thoroughly after use. Some of these look like they've never been cleaned.

I love my Turbinaire 1245GT (hint of a stealth gloat). It was very pricey, but HUGE difference in finish quality from the Rockler one I had (I gave it away). It lays down a flawless finish every time I have used it.

Just a note on the Rockler though. I used it with good success on thinned Latex paint. I did not have good success with Alcohol based Shellac or Poly, but Water based shellac and Water based Poly from Target coatings (no affiliation) did OK.

Having never used any of the others mentioned I can't comment but My Fuji 4 stage turbine (only turbine I've owned or used) has been fantastic since I got it about 6 years ago.
    I only spray waterbase but it has been exceptional with un-thinned Target coatings, General Finishes and some thinned Acrylic latex paints.
    Of course its not cheap but was a valuable investment that I can spray with right in the shop or anywhere due ot its size and portability. Very powerful, easy to learn to spray different finsihes with, cleans up easy.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft