Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A request.

A request.

I'm sure I'm in a minority here, but in the interest of those of us who no longer religiously read equipment catalogs, could posters please identify tools and machinery with a bit more information than simply a model number? CU700, CG3065, ("Major gloat: my new RM766 arrived today!") etc.. Those numbers alone, without a manufacturer's name or at least a machine category, don't mean anything to some of us.

Thanks in advance.

Frank - You and I are in the same boat. More often than not I have no idea what kind of machinery is being referenced when only a model number is referenced. Heck I don't even know the model number of most of the stuff I own! So that makes 2 of us - still a minority, but not a minority of one.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Ditto, add one more.

Another minority member. I have to copy and paste the information into Google and occasionally it stumps even Google.
    David B

Nice to hear I'm not alone; I'm all for time-saving abbreviations and short cuts, but there is such a thing as too short.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Another minority member. I have to copy and paste the information into Google and occasionally it stumps even Google.
    You made me chuckle, Dave. I wish I had a dollar for every time I did a number search. Clifford.

Great idea Frank..............I'll try to keep it in mind when posting..........Rod.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem pasting the mysterious info into Google; it even yields more info that I might enjoy beyond full maker/model info in a post. BUT, I am totally in favor of making the Creek as enjoyable for everyone as possible and will endeavor to avoid vague references and incomplete information. I share your experiences when folks refer to certain hand tools and almost anything "spinny". I find myself staring and a voice in my head saying "a what?". Good thread and a good idea.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

maybe we are actually the majority
    fledgling weekend warrior

One more here. Like Glen, I've forgotten most of the model numbers of my own equipement. When researching to buy I know the numbers, but after the machine is bought, it becomes useless info to me. If I need a part I'll search my box of owner manuals to find the model number.

I usually skip by threads with only model numbers in the title line.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Count me into the movement. Griz numbers really get me. There are just too many to even try to remember!

moot point

Moot point because gloats are no good without pictures
    (Like what cows think... moo-t)

All in fun-
    Brian

Me too. I don't keep up with all these model numbers either,as I already acquired my machines long ago.

Ditto.

Now if you want to see someone that hates abbreviations, my sister is a literature major, president of the Michigan Library Council, and a librarian, and she is always ranting about how abbreviations are ruining communication and the English langauge.

TTFN........

Heck....I'm doin' good to remember my street address. I know the brand name for all my stuff but if you want a number yer gonna hafta wait a few minutes while I totter out to the shop and write it down 'cause if I just look, I'll forget by the time I get back. Seems the minority is gettin' bigger all the time.