Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got any ideas?

Question Anybody got any ideas?

I have just agreed to do a woodworking demo for the kids at my church on June 17. The time is limited (about an hour) and it is part of a series on art and religion. The idea is to demo something and then have a small project that the kids could do. Right now I'm thinking of a lathe demo (making some shavings should be exciting) and a small flat project that I have prepared the parts ahead of time. Oh, I did think that using some shavings off a plane or the lathe might be nice for decorations on the projects. Oh, I have a Jet mini lathe and a good selection of hand tools that I MIGHT be willing to let some kids touch.

So, has anyone done anything like this? What works? What doesn't. Some tie in to religion is expected and I don't think "Joseph was a carpenter" will cut it. I'm afraid that the date will sneak up on me.

Thanks, Mark
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

The holy grail is often depicted as a goblet. You can make a goblet in much less than an hour.

Mark - I would think that some simple spindle turned candle holders would be great fun for the kids, be something they can take with them and not stress you out to much as far as a project.

Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Candle holders are a quick easy design that can use up scraps of 2x2s etc. Throw a square block on it and you have a base. After all in Joseph's time that's all they had.

You can turn small tops in a very short period of time.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My first lathe projects while I was taking care of my father were several hundred simple old fashioned spin tops that I donated to a local charity. Unfortunately I don't have any pics but I used the multi colored laminated scraps from one of the pen catalogs. I took a 2-3" square by 1" or so thick, drilled a 5/16 hole through center, glued in a 3" piece of hardwood dowel rod, used a collet chuck to grip the dowel and turned. If you have the blanks cut with the dowels glued ahead of time you can crank these out by the bushel.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    You can turn small tops in a very short period of time.
    AND, it's something that the kids could try too!
    Change One Thing

Wow, you guys are quick! Thanks for the ideas so far. I like the idea of spindle work. I would certainly feel safer letting the kids have a go at it with a scraper if it were between centers. (I will have a hand on the tool at all times though.) I am trying to figure out how to spin the top idea as a religious icon. The grail may be a good demo and the cup is certainly a nice tie in with communion.

Great. Thanks. Keep em coming.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Spin your way to heaven via living your life for the lord.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

glue up some peices that are flat but have a simple gloss glued in. or make a multi axis turning out of a cross. it might be a little more dangerous because of the amount of air betwen the sides
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Got any ideas?

How about a pen{s} made from olive wood from the holy land? Everyone likes pens. Max

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    How about a pen{s} made from olive wood from the holy land? Everyone likes pens. Max
    That would be great, but I've never turned pens and I don't want to get all the extra stuff for it. But, using olive wood is a great idea!
    Mark

small, simple cups....lot's of Bible verses that talk about cups.

be sure and tell the attendees about how many churches have tried to censor works of art due to aspects of the art that they found objectionable; truth is truth. It is, as you said, a series on 'art and religion'. mike
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 05-21-2009 at 8:51 PM.

If you prep properly you can turn most small projects. But I do agree spindle turnings will be the easiest in an hour. Perhaps some cigar pens, pre-drilled, and glued and barrel trimmed. get some soft wood like maple.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson