Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of my new snazzy Table Saw Sled

Pictures of my new snazzy Table Saw Sled

First of all hello to every one. It's been a long while since my last visit. This was one of the things I meant to do for the longest time and finally, here it is. I can see it's a lot more than I need but my vision came through.
    I made the fence with Alder 2 1/8" thick x 3 1/4" wide and without the extension is 37" long. With the extension is a total of 50" end to end. There is 23" to the left of the blade and 14 to the right. Once the extension is on I can crosscut up to 52" wide x 27" deep.
    I took quite a few pictures of the making. If you like to see some of those I'll be glad to post some more images.
    Thanks for looking at my project.
    Regards,
    Alex Elias
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Job

Great looking project.

One question: What is the purpose of the track on the trailing edge?

Nice...it looks like it has all the bells and whistles too.
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Great looking sled. I like the way that you included the extension for long cuts. Nice Job!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

one quesiton...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Elias View Post
    First of all hello to every one. It's been a long while since my last visit.
    uh, how many woodworkers does it take to put that monster on your saw

Seriously, it looks very functional. Enjoy!

---Mike

I took quite a few pictures of the making. If you like to see some of those I'll be glad to post some more images.
    Alex,
    That's a great looking sled. Please do post more pictures; I will be making a sled soon and would like to get some ideas. Thanks.

That's one nice looking sled. Looks very well though out. I bet this post gets referenced many times in the future when more folks build sleds inspired by this one.

Looks good and has lots of interesting bells and whistles.

I'm curious about the T-Track knobs on the rail on the trailing end, however. Is the rail secured by more than just the T-Track?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Griffin View Post
    Great looking project.

One question: What is the purpose of the track on the trailing edge?
    Wonder if that's part of what stabilizes the extensible part of the fence?

I would add a small box (chunk of wood) at the rear to hide the blade as the sled passes over it. An exposed blade popping out of the confines of the box is potential trouble.

Nicely done - wanna do one for me?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Looks great!
    What are the knobs on the front fence for?

Matt

+1 on the extra pictures and any descriptive information you are willing to provide.

I am lucky enough to have two tablesaws and want to dedicate one to crosscutting and have been looking for a good sled design.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I would add a small box (chunk of wood) at the rear to hide the blade as the sled passes over it. An exposed blade popping out of the confines of the box is potential trouble.

Nicely done - wanna do one for me?
    That is one snazzy sled with all the trimmings. Congrats. How does the fence adjust for realignment over time? Something from below?

Mitchell hit on my concern. I have a big block that the blade get's buried in. On one sled I was so intent on watching the material on the sled I actually allowed the blade to exit the block . It would be an easy add-on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the nice comments. Here are some more pictures. This may answer some the questions above.
    The block with 2 knobs on the back is to move it away or any where in between the sled.
    The left botttom runner is aluminum and the width adjust so that one is pretty much set in the groove with no play, the right side track is oak and it's a bit narrower than the table saw groove so it rides touching the inner wall only. That way when the rear block is moved and re adjusted I just apply pressure to bring both halfs to touch the inner walls and then re adjust the knobs in the block. Also that is how I change the inserts on the sled, removing the rear block.
    I'll post more pictures later showing how to lock the interchangeable inserts on the sled so they dont move side to side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You know, that's pretty darned clever. I had to look back at the pics a few times to get it straight in my head, but that's a killer idea.

Just curious how many sleds you went through over the years to work out all these great details? Regardless of what you say, I'm going to tell myself that it was a bunch so I don't feel like a complete potato head

They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I'm guessing you are about to feel very flattered.

Thanks for the nice comments. Here are some more pictures. This may answer some the questions above.
    The block with 2 knobs on the back is to move it away or any where in between the sled.
    The left botttom runner is aluminum and the width adjust so that one is pretty much set in the groove with no play, the right side track is oak and it's a bit narrower than the table saw groove so it rides touching the inner wall only. That way when the rear block is moved and re adjusted I just apply pressure to bring both halfs to touch the inner walls and then re adjust the knobs in the block. Also that is how I change the inserts on the sled, removing the rear block.
    I'll post more pictures later showing how to lock the interchangeable inserts on the sled so they dont move side to side.