Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam Maloof, 1916-2009

That's sad news. Sam is an icon of the highest stature.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

From what I was able to read of his personal life, he was a good man.

Oh, sure, I'm humbled by the beauty of his work, but I was always just as impressed by what I was able to learn about his personality. Those of you who met him were privileged, I'm sure. How much his family must miss him.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

So sorry to hear about this. He was certainly a class act, and an outstanding woodworker. Rest in peace, Sam.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Goodbye Sam

The world of artisan woodworking has lost one of it's greatest advocates. I cannot think of another individual who has contributed more to the woodworking world than Sam Maloof.

I have heard that name since I was a kid and it was never spoken with less than the utmost respect and more often than not, with awe. Until the very end of his incredibly prolific life, Sam was the woodworker's woodworker. He was what we all aspired to, what we wanted to become. And through it all, he remained a humble and gracious man, freely sharing his ideas and welcoming all into his home and shop.

There has been much written about Sam and I am sure there will be many heartfelt words written about his passing. But for me, Sam will remain a benchmark figure, someone who's work and life are forever to be an inspiration.

There have been others, Edward Barnsley for one, George Nakashima for another, from whom I have drawn inspiration. Artisans of extraordinary skill and design sense I will never equal. But always, in my mind, I see myself being like them, constantly striving to improve this line or refine that curve, always seeking the illusive perfection.

Whether or not I ever achieve anything close to Sam's level of ability or success, is not the point. It's not a goal. It's a process. I'm sure there are many like me that feel the world is less full than it was a few days ago. I only met Sam once so I cannot really call him a friend. But he has been a mentor nontheless
    David DeCristoforo

I suppose any death is always "too soon", but I'm happy that Sam was able to do something that 99% of us will not - working in a woodshop, even if you were just supervising (which Sam wasn't) is hard work for a 30 year old, much less a 90-something. Sam was able to have meaningful output that he did himself well into what most of us would consider extreme old age.

We should all be so lucky - his was certainly a life well-lived.

As implressive as Maloof's work was, I think it is almost secondary to the person that he was. It is rare that someone with his skills remains so humble, deisring of so little in accolades, wealth, etc. He is one of those rare souls that everyone who met him has nothing but kind words.

There is a thread in the turner's forum about some guy with medicore skills calling himself a "master turner". Maloof's business card apparetnly simply referred to him as "woodworker", and he declined opportunities for great wealth to sell out his designs for mass production. And he worked basically until the day he died, almost a century old. As a woodworker he was a master, as a person, an icon. He'd probably be dismissive of that, but I think it is true.

Blog Entries

Sam Maloof, RIP

Sad to say, Sam Maloof has left this world at 93.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,3907018.story

What a great life and spectacular career Sam had. I couldn't help buy smile every time I saw a picture of him. May he rest in peace.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I struggled to explain this to my wife, why it was a big deal. Best I could come up with was that Sam was John Lennon and Elvis. Sam was Miles and Coletrane. Sam was Scorcese or Kurosawa. Sam was Picasso or Warhol. He was Jim Henson and Graham Chapman, Faulkner and Salinger, Kerouac and Hemingway, all wrapped into one.

There are other "name" woodworkers, some who do amazing work, but for me the Sam was always the rock star of the bunch.

Iconic, enigmatic, intensely talented. Did things differently and found beauty in places others hadn't.

I'm sad that I never got to meet him. I'm sad that I've never seen one of his pieces in person. But I could sit and look at the lines of one of his rockers and be mesmerised.

The world is a lesser place without him. In Requiescat Pace.

I had the honor to meet Sam in 2001 at the Renwick museum in Washington DC. He was a real gentleman. He asked me about the kind of woodworking I did and posed for pics . I willnever forget him.
    Earl

It is sad, I was hoping one day meeting him. Well, I have to wait a little longer and then we can enjoy together.

He is/was one of the greatest. Sad to hear this.

Good bye Sam!

'Tis sad to lose such an inspiration, and yet, it is good to be reminded once again by Sam's example how to live life. In full.

Godspeed Sam. We are the better to have known of you, and more blessed are those who knew you.

Anybody who wants a reminder of how much of a design inspiration Sam Maloof was to others is invited to review Furnitude's series on Rocking Chairs...

http://furnitude.blogspot.com/search...irs%20I%20Love
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Was camping the past couple days and just caught this post.

I'm shocked and saddened. I saw one of his seminar's in Greenville, SC a year or two back. He was amazing cutting things on the bandsaw and speaking to us as if he was 30! I grabbed a couple pieces of scrap from his walnut chair and he was kind enough to autograph them. Great guy and an inspiration.

He will be missed.
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

A great loss to the woodworking world, RIP Sam.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Rest in Peace.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.