Thread: Hitachi - 12" Compound-Miter Saw

Hitachi - 12" Compound-Miter Saw

I was at Costco last night and saw they are currently selling the Hitachi 12" sliding miter saw for $399(15amp). Its the odd looking futuristic design that has a laser guide. This is much less than comparable Rigid, Bosch, DeWalt,etc. going for 500+.
    Is this a good accurate saw that stands with the DeWalts,etc.?

Chris

Aliens like it.

The best thing going for it seems to be the fact that you can put it right up against a wall. There aren't many sliders that let you do that.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by chris fox View Post
    I was at Costco last night and saw they are currently selling the Hitachi 12" sliding miter saw for $399(15amp). Its the odd looking futuristic design that has a laser guide. This is much less than comparable Rigid, Bosch, DeWalt,etc. going for 500+.
    Is this a good accurate saw that stands with the DeWalts,etc.?

Chris

I reviewed this hitachi a little more and noticed that being a feature unlike others.

I have that one but mine has the digital readouts. Fantastic saw for the price. I love mine and paid $550 on sale.

If you buy it, please post your impressions after using it. I'd be especially interested in the clearance behind the saw. I had to buy a 12" non slider because I didn't have room.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Fine Homebuilding magazine did a review of 12" sliders that included the Hitachi. Although they recommended the Makita, they did not seem to say that any of the saws they reviewed where noticeably inferior. The review did include DeWalt, Ridgid, Bosch, etc... If you are interested, you can go to Taunton's web site and download the article. You will have to sign up for their online service, but I believe they have a free 14 day trial. Since the normal price on that saw is in the $600 range, it would appear to be a very good buy.

I played with one a few weeks ago. There is zero-clearance behind the saw -- depending on how you set it up.

You have to flip a couple of levers on the saw for zero clearance.

Not sure why, but the saw allows for either the rails to slide behind the saw OR for the head/motor/blade assembly to slide on the rails. I'm not sure why they even give you a choice, but they do.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If you buy it, please post your impressions after using it. I'd be especially interested in the clearance behind the saw. I had to buy a 12" non slider because I didn't have room.

Mike

I bought that saw with laser and digi readout at Lowe's a few months ago. Mine works well, once set up, it cuts accurately. It is ugly, but for the price a great deal.

You stated Hitachi Compound Miter Saw but from the post it appears you mean the Hitachi 12" Sliding Compound miter saw. I sold my Hitachi 10" SCMS to get the 12" Hitachi about 2-3 years ago. I needed the extra 1" of cut-off ability and also liked the fact if takes less space.

Well.. it takes less space.. it gives me one more inch of cut-off ability. Other than that it is basically the same fantastic bang for the buck I had with the Hitachi 10" SCMS. As far as the futuristic color scheme, I really am not concerned about it at all.

What I am conernced with is accuracy.. quaility.. the space it takes and over-all performance. In that category it has deliverd nicely and frankly.. I really haven't noticed what color it is since it did that from day one.

Good luck with your decision. BTW.. I have used the Makita.. Bosch.. DW and Kapex and all are good saws. In comparison, IMO $399 is a bona-fide bargain.

Sarge..