Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone turn Aussie Grass root

Anyone turn Aussie Grass root

Hi,

I have a couple pieces of dry (over 5 years old - at least) Australian Grass root. Since they were not cheap. I am trying to figure out what to make out of them and how to best take advantage of the beauty in the wood. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Dan B.

you gotta give some specifics, how big are the blanks for starters?

Sizes

The 1st root is approx 10" at the base and about 3" at the top, and it about 12-14" tall.

The 2nd one is approx 12" at the base and about 21/2 -> 3" at the top, and is about 15" tall.

Thank You,
    Dan B.

Dan, I've only turned one piece of grass root and that was many years ago. It certainly lends itself to natural edge. I don't think you have to worry too much about the pith.

Be very careful the dust etc is toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Roberts View Post
    Be very careful the dust etc is toxic.

He aint whistling dixy.......... I would not touch this without using my positive pressure face mask AT ALL TIMES turning or sanding
    But the beauty within makes all the trouble worth while
    regards
    Graham

Thanks for the Toxic info :') How does it turn?

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the toxic nature of the wood. . I will keep that in mind when I finally get to turning it.

I have not been able to find out much about the wood itself here in the states.

Someone told me it looks like bamboo, but he did not have any pictures.

Looking for info as to how hard/easy it turns / sands / works / dulls gouges, etc.

Are bowls or spindel better?

Thanks,
    Dan B.

it is often turned as bowl/hollow forms. The best person for this work is Jack de Vos http://jackdevos.com/ he turns it very thin.

Info on selling / shipping

Hi Fellow Turners,

I am on the fence on selling these, as Boy Scouts (I'm a leader) is eating all of my spare time, and I have not gotten to doing anything with the grass roots I have, other than trip over them in the shop.

History: These were being shipped into Canada (from Austrailia - Via USA). Canadain customs rejected them. The wood place I get some wood from, bought the crate of roots from customs (to expensive to ship back). They had them for 5+ years, and I bought a couple about 3 years ago. I waxed the ends after I bought them.

I had some questions:
    1) Since Canada is out, I'm thinking that I should only ship to the USA.

2) Is there any restrictions on shipping such items? I know Hawaii is out, any other states?

3) Does anyone know how to "easily" tell which of the 17 varities of grass root is the one I have (since I only have part of it)?

4) Anyone know what this "sells" for? I know I paid a fair amount of each of the ones I purchased, but have not see any in the USA. All references are to Aussie Web pages, but no prices (that I could find). I'm wondering if I can get my $ back out if I sell them.

Your help/advice would be great. Hopefully, I'm not violating any forum rules asking these questions.

Thank You,
    Dan B.

Roots and prices: Lee Tree Woodworks

11. Hi Dan, Peter here. I had a stump of Xanthorea (Grass Tree) common name as long as I can remember was (now politically incorrect) Blackboy.
    In growth it produces a long spear like flower stem viewed at a distance look like a traditional Aboriginal standing on one leg holding a Spear. This plant grows in Australia, is very slow growing long lived species. What you have is the stump it could have been at least 100 yrs old.
    The plant is made up of roots not unlike in appearance to Palm. I have enclosed I hope a few pics I took of a root I kept for fifteen years of the Species Pressii that is the prettiest one IMHO cutting even so long after storage by me a bright yellow. It is softish with hard roots massed with flecks, easy to cut and turn.
    CARE is needed it is dusty and like half of timber and lookalike roots quite
    Carcinogenic. (most everything is). I was concinced it was too dangerous however in 2007 cut this one up (no problems and made pens) see picks of blanks cut and pen made Slimline. This root of Pressii is only found in Western Australia in a finite area and is always yellow inside the centre
    acts as a sponge to convey water to the plant the rest is made up of roots.
    Cuts easily and polishes nicely, I had never used CA at this time so sealing with CA is great now I find. Normal precautions with dust.
    Have fun I did.
    Regards Peter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That grass tree looks a lot like a Joshua Tree. I tried to collect some stump wood from some dead JT's a couple weeks ago, but there was still water in them and they were still fiberous, like a live plant. The wood deteriorates as the moisture evaporates. The Jack de Voss website posted in an earlier post states, "Unless the grasstree has been dead for several years, and the fibrous material has composted away, it is near impossible to harvest the woody cores. The cores are rarely large enough to make more than one article." It does look like there would be some possibilities. Jerry (in Tucson)

Funny I was just looking at grass roots at a site a day ago and wondering about it and this old thread pops up.

Here is where I was looking, it has their prices on it. Scroll down a starts with second item.

http://www.gilmerwood.com/nuts.htm

Thanks for the Lee Link

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the like to Lee Tree. It looks like the stuff I have, and is about the price I paided for it.

Thanks,
    Dan B.

Interesting info - Thanks

Thanks Peter and Jerry for the info on the grass roots. I bought them becuase they seemed interesting (like wood, when I find something with interesting grain, I will pick some up), put like John K. the LOML won't let me morgage the house for wood, and she is getting on my case as the wood pile is stacking up much quicker than projects coming out of the woodshop, or off the lathe. So it is time to think about thinning down the wood pile a little.